Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Re: Galaxy paper offered for direct positive processing

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    One more thing. Why do you want the project to die? It's no skin off your nose either way. Let the backers deal with it, however it turns out. If you are incensed with them because you feel they are misrepresenting their product then surely you have done your duty by warning others on this forum. In the end each person will make his or her own decision regarding backing it or not.
    I think that this project sends the wrong message to the community and will result in a lot of distrust in the crowd-sourcing model that so many of these analog friendly projects are relying on. I wish them no ill will, but I do feel that they have not been forthright and that does no one any favors.

Seeing as how they've mislead (intentionally or not) everyone I don't feel that a large majority of the backers have been able to make an informed choice. Misleading the backers is fraud and should be dealt with by the community and Kickstarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly_1971 View Post
    I think that this project sends the wrong message to the community and will result in a lot of distrust in the crowd-sourcing model that so many of these analog friendly projects are relying on. I wish them no ill will, but I do feel that they have not been forthright and that does no one any favors.

Seeing as how they've mislead (intentionally or not) everyone I don't feel that a large majority of the backers have been able to make an informed choice. Misleading the backers is fraud and should be dealt with by the community and Kickstarter.
    Crowd-sourcing is always a risk. It seems almost all of them are behind schedule or the finished product does not measure up. I believe the reason is because most are run by enthusiastic amatures. I have backed two, the TravelWide 90 and this. For the relative little amount of money I'm willing to take the risk. I also believe you and others have sufficiently sounded a warning, at least to all forum members who may be considering backing the project. After dispensing that duty the decision lies with each person. As for ruining trust in Kickstarter, well I think that has already happened, many times over by high profile projects that went nowhere.

Now, only time will tell if this crazy idea is going to work.

Galaxy met their funding goal with two weeks to go. My guess is that they will wind up with 33~35K total with KS getting 10%. So, over the next year, we'll see if this is just a foolish venture. Since all KS projects seem to be 6 to 12 months late I'll not be expecting any rewards until next summer. By that time, if all goes well, I'll have practiced a good bit over the winter shooting paper hand held with the TW90.

You folks should have a look at the Slavitch website, http://www.slavich.com/photo-bw-reversal

Slavich seems to be the one and only that offers a high speed paper that can be reversed to positive, Galaxy found a fine partner there for this project, perhaps Galaxy's version which is made by Slavitch will be a more refined and tweaked version of Minutka. which is offered for use in photo booths.

You can also see directions on how to process Minutka in Slavich's recommended chemical process for reversal processing.

This is pretty good!! Try buying some Minutka, looks like nice stuff but can you use a 100 foot or longer roll? Galaxy will have their version in more practical package sizes being a lot more affordable and hopefully a much simpler chemical kit or process.

How Does That Grab Ya???

Quote Originally Posted by DrJackson
    hopefully a much simpler chemical kit or process.

How Does That Grab Ya???
    It doesn't grab me in any particular way, tbh.

"A much simpler chemical kit or process" ... well, you need a certain set of processes and a certain set of chemical steps to acheive a reversal, and they are outlined in this post in this thread: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1262951

How ever clever Galaxy are (and the evidence thus far appears to be, "not very") they are going to be hard pushed to change the necessary steps to make a reversal. They might use very slightly different chemicals in some of the steps to the tried and tested methods, but they can't reduce the number of steps.

Personally I think the process will be this papers downfall. The beauty of the Harman Direct Positive film is the simplicity of the processing which means it's being sold to schools and colleges around the world with the Harman Pinhole cameras, as well as in the general photographic market. The new Galaxy paper may have the advantage of a much higher emulsion speed but the complexity of the processing is a huge disadvantage, I have made B&W Reversal prints in the past and worked on B&W Reversal processing for a London lab a few years ago.

There's also the other disadvantage of shooting reversal prints in a camera the lateral reversal (mirror image), this limits the potential uses and along with the more complex process is likely to tip people in favour of shooting on film and possibly contact printing their negatives.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The beauty of the Harman Direct Positive film is the simplicity of the processing which means it's being sold to schools and colleges around the world with the Harman Pinhole cameras, as well as in the general photographic market.
    Ian
    How can this be. They are always out of the stuff. B&H Photo here in the US list 6 sizes of Harman DP paper, all back ordered and ship time 'not available'. The Harman pinhole cameras no longer contain the DP paper in the box. Perhaps it is different in Europe and the UK, I am not familiar with the suppliers there. As to the lateral reversed image. That bothers me so much that I only shoot paper as a negative and then scan and invert or contact print. I will welcome this papers speed and of course, processing as a negative is no more complex than any other paper. Galaxy needs to bring out that point more. I will use my precious and limited supply of galaxy's paper only in camera and contact print onto my very ample supply of regular photo paper.

Re: The lateral reversed image, a possibility. I have been thinking about a 4X5 box camera with a focusing lens that has a first surface mirror set at 45% in the light path to flip the image. Polaroid, who exposed their SX70 film on the front had to have such an arrangement in their cameras. Just an idea.

How can this be. They are always out of the stuff. B&H Photo here in the US list 6 sizes of Harman DP paper, all back ordered and ship time 'not available'. The Harman pinhole cameras no longer contain the DP paper in the box. Perhaps it is different in Europe and the UK, I am not familiar with the suppliers there. As to the lateral reversed image. That bothers me so much that I only shoot paper as a negative and then scan and invert or contact print. I will welcome this papers speed and of course, processing as a negative is no more complex than any other paper. Galaxy needs to bring out that point more. I will use my precious and limited supply of galaxy's paper only in camera and contact print onto my very ample supply of regular photo paper.

Re: The lateral reversed image, a possibility. I have been thinking about a 4X5 box camera with a focusing lens that has a first surface mirror set at 45% in the light path to flip the image. Polaroid, who exposed their SX70 film on the front had to have such an arrangement in their cameras. Just an idea.
    The Harman Direct Positive paper went out of production when Ilford Imaging in Switzeterland wend into liquidation last year, this was the former Tellko factory bought by Ciba Geigy which made Cibachrome/Ilfochrome, their B&W direct reversal emulsion was a spin-off product and supplied to Harman/Ilford in the UK a separate company.

Harman/Ilford in the UK now have the rights to make this emulsion for them selves and the newest batch of paper has been coated etc and will be back in stock in the US very shortly (this month), it takes some time to ship to the US.

Yes your right a front silvered mirror would be ideal to correct the lateral reversal, actually I nearly bought 2 a few months ago part of a pair of De Vere copy setups that came with 2 5x4 backs, next time I saw them the mirrors had gone and I bought just the backs.

As the Galaxy paper is RC it would be very quick and easy to process as a negative, wash, dry and contact print, much more practical.

Ian

...They are always out of the stuff. B&H Photo here in the US list 6 sizes of Harman DP paper, all back ordered and ship time 'not available'. The Harman pinhole cameras no longer contain the DP paper in the box. Perhaps it is different in Europe and the UK, I am not familiar with the suppliers there...
    From the Ilford website, regarding availability of their paper:

3rd June 2015
    Availability update.
    Stock is expected to be available in the UK from early July, mainland Europe mid July, and in North America and the rest of the world from mid August.

Be patient.

Wow, from the update it looks like they might ship rewards on time. After the Travelwide delay I thought that late shipping was just common on Kickstarter projects.