Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide on a 90mm Lens for 4x5

Dave Karp

Re: Trying to decide on a 90mm Lens for 4x5

From experience I can say that the f/4.5 Grandagon-N is a wonderful lens for interiors and everything else. It's only disadvantage is size. It takes 82mm filters. Eventually, like Doremus, I went to a smaller, lighter 90mm. I went with an f/8 Nikkor, which has the same image circle as the bigger Grandagon-N.

Old School Wayne

Make sure you need one before you buy one. I had a beautiful Schneider 6.8 but I sold it in a moment of need years ago and haven't missed it once since. That's not to say I would have sold it if I hadn't needed money, I just don't miss it for 99% of what I like to do.

multiplex

if you run across a yellow or violet dot 90mm wollensak signal corps raptar buy it ..
    it might be the last 90mm lens you ever buy .. small, big coverage on 4x5 and sharp as nails.
    i had one for a long long time and sold it for a 90mm SA ( chrome barrel ) and i have wished
    i still had the raptar for more than a decade ...

Quote Originally Posted by celtic9 View Post
    Thanks for the quick feedback everyone!

@ David: I'll shoot 4x5 only. Won't carry it on long hikes. Dimly lit-interiors: yes.
    Dimly lit, go with the Grandagon N Green Stripe f/4.5's

Hiking, Schneider SA or Nikkor SW f/8's

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

Got an Ilex-Acugon Veriwide (in a Seiko 0, I think). Also very nice, huge image circle (240mm+) but can be dimm-ish on the groundglass (f/8). Mine takes 67m filters; some versions don't have front filter threads apparently (!). I had both the 6.8 Caltar and Grandagon-N. Only bought the Acugon as a cheap replacement. Can't fault it. Got an old Angulon for hiking, but like the Ilex a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    None of them but then again I'm mainly working in the landscape. I use a Schneider f6.8 90mm Angulon. Very low cost. Weighs very little. Great coverage (5x7 with no movements).

Attachment 135421

RR
    The 120mm Anglon barely covers 5X7, the 90mm covers 4X5, but with no movements.

As for the OP - the Rodenstock/ caltar 90mm N 4.5 is by far the best. If you can get one for 400$, dont wait - buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post

As for the OP - the Rodenstock/ caltar 90mm N 4.5 is by far the best. If you can get one for 400$, dont wait - buy it.
    Yes I was mistaken about the image circle for 5x7, thank you for the correction. The 90mm does allow movements with 4x5. I've used mine for some years now both with and without movements. However, mine are fitted with shutters that allow the aperture to be shut down to f45. You are absolutely right about the advice to simply go ahead and buy the Rodenstock if he can get it for $400...

RR

Wanted to say it is the best lens by far, period. No matter what list it is on. Short of the Nikon 90mm F4.5 which are both the same in my eyes, having used both, you cannot go wrong with this lens, except for the price part.

Wanted to say it is the best lens by far, period. No matter what list it is on. Short of the Nikon 90mm F4.5 which are both the same in my eyes, having used both, you cannot go wrong with this lens, except for the price part.
    Also, very important, if the OP finds he needs it, the Rodenstocks have center filters available for them while Nikon just ignored the need for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Also, very important, if the OP finds he needs it, the Rodenstocks have center filters available for them while Nikon just ignored the need for them.
    I personally found that the CF for the Grandagon - N Green stripe f/4.5 lens wasn't necessary, the Schneider SS XL's are a different story.

I'm told by many that Nikon's lens design is such that there isn't any lens falloff, but I'm not a lens designer so I wouldn't know for sure.