Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trying to decide on a 90mm Lens for 4x5

Re: Trying to decide on a 90mm Lens for 4x5

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I personally found that the CF for the Grandagon - N Green stripe f/4.5 lens wasn't necessary, the Schneider SS XL's are a different story.

I'm told by many that Nikon's lens design is such that there isn't any lens falloff, but I'm not a lens designer so I wouldn't know for sure.
    Nikon wide angles have similar fall off the difference is Nikon ignored it. As far as fall off goes lenses like Apo Sironar N, S, W and Schneider, Nikon and Fuji's similar designs also all have fall off. Just not enough to need center filters for correction. They fall off from edge to edge by about ⅓ rd stop.

Does anyone have a manual etc for the Grandagon 90mm 6.8 (not the N)?

thanks,

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I personally found that the CF for the Grandagon - N Green stripe f/4.5 lens wasn't necessary, the Schneider SS XL's are a different story.

I'm told by many that Nikon's lens design is such that there isn't any lens falloff, but I'm not a lens designer so I wouldn't know for sure.
    Try to use both Nikkor 90 mm with color slide film and youŽll notice the fall off from 3cm shift in landscape format. Then, you decide if you need a center filter or not. Nikon and Fuji never made a center filter, that doesnŽt mean the excellent wide angles made by Nikon and Fuji do not need a center filter, because they have the same fall off as the ones made by Rodenstock or Schneider. I own a Nikkor SW 75/4,5 and a Grandagon-N 75/4,5, and they have the same fall off, and they improve tremendously when I use a Rodenstock Center Filter with them.

I have a Sinaron W 90/4,5 , (Same lens that Rodenstock Grandagon N 90/4,5), and IŽm extremely happy with it. I purchased it in 1991, and since then has served me flawlessly.
    I mostly use color slide film.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
    Make sure you need one before you buy one. I had a beautiful Schneider 6.8 but I sold it in a moment of need years ago and haven't missed it once since. That's not to say I would have sold it if I hadn't needed money, I just don't miss it for 99% of what I like to do.
    I thought I "needed" a 90mm for 4x5 but it was hard to use on my old Technika. I had a 90mm f/5.6 Super Angulon that was big and heavy. Now I prefer a slightly longer lens such as the 105mm f/8 Fuji SW that will just cover 5x7. Also the 120mm f/6.8 Angulon is good and compact, whereas the 121/120mm f/8 Super Angulon version is large and heavy. I guess it depends on what type of camera you are using. If it is a simple field camera why not go with the 75mm f/5.6 Super Angulon that will give a larger field of view on 4x5.

For me, a Nikkor f/8 90mm is the right compromise between lightweight and coverage. If I need really light, I'll grab my 100mm WF Ektar.

Doremus

Small town, South Carolina, US

I have the same combo. I use the Nikkor f/8 90mm most of the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    For me, a Nikkor f/8 90mm is the right compromise between lightweight and coverage. If I need really light, I'll grab my 100mm WF Ektar.

Doremus

Love my 90mm f/6.8 Grandagon N. A real sweet spot in terms of brightness, sharpness, coverage, cost, and portability. Coverage? Here's an image from this lens on 5x7:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dunes at Stovepipe Wells, DV.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	233.0 KB 
ID:	196727