Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best developer one-shot for T-grain films in Jobo processor at 75 degree

Re: Best developer one-shot for T-grain films in Jobo processor at 75 degree

When the Tmax films came out I tested many combinations for these films and concluded that TMax Developer worked best for my workflow.

From observation only, I've seen MANY people post shoot have issues with EXTOL more then any other developer.

I'm not saying it's a bad developer, I'm saying that it might possibly be very persnickety, and that some might not be as careful as it may require, your water might not be the right "type" it needs, there's just too many factors that seem to come out with bad results, and then others say "I've never had an issue before" so either their habits/environment/methods/available water composition/etc.

I've never used XTOL and probably never will, I'm not saying you shouldn't use it, I'm just saying that I've seen many people have issues with it, and there are other developers that are less finicky that might get the job done without frustration.

Good luck!

Developing agents in aqueous solutions will oxidize with time. The rate of oxidation is a function of several variables including the amount of dissolved oxygen, type of developing agent, exposure to air, pH (oxidation is generally accelerated with increasing pH), preservative concentration and the amounts of other impurities which can affect oxidation rates of some developing agents (see Fenton reaction for ascorbate for example) in relation to sequestering agents present.

The more dilute the solution, the more oxygen (and possible relevant impurities) is present, relative to smaller amounts of developing agent(s), preservative and sequestering agent(s) in a given volume, while pH remains more or less constant. Therefore you can generally expect a more dilute solution to go bad faster.

@Stone: XTOL is a fairly robust developer unless you use ridiculously bad water or something. Also keep in mind there are pluses and minuses to any formula. While a stock solution of XTOL will never last as long as a bottle of Rodinal or HC-110, XTOL is essentially the first and only developer to push the total grain-speed-sharpness triad past that of D-76. Virtually all other formulas push one or possibly two of those characteristics while compromising on the other(s). I'm not suggesting this should or should not be important to you, but something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    This raises an interesting question: Why wouldn't the working solution have the same self life as the stock solution? One thing for certain, the working solution has an excess of H-O-H. Could it be that the oxygen is released from the excess H-O-H leaving a bunch of hydrogen ions loose to disassemble the stock?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by foen View Post
    So in your opinion, I should give the XTOL another chance?
    It's not clear who you're speaking to when asking that question. My answer to it is a definite "yes." Please read my post #9 above and the link I included in it. If you use the methods they describe, you'll have no XTOL failures.

Analog Photographer Kimberly Anderson's Avatar

Pmk.

Reviving a very old thread, with changes in the current film and developer landscape. I live in South Florida and need to process at 75 degrees (about as cool as I can get my darkroom). My main 8x10 film has been t-max 100, now becoming very difficult to acquire. My developer of choice has been t-max rs, now extinct, very sad about this one. I process in a Jobo rotary, mixed 1:9, one shot.

At some point I will probably start using Delta 100, but in the meantime I still have about 100 sheets of t-max. I would like advice on something other than xtol, I have well water that goes through a whole house RO system.

I ordered some Ilford ddx to try but it doesn’t look like it likes 75 Deg? Have any of you made a similar switch, and what have you come up with?

www.timeandlight.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post
    Reviving a very old thread, with changes in the current film and developer landscape. I live in South Florida and need to process at 75 degrees (about as cool as I can get my darkroom). My main 8x10 film has been t-max 100, now becoming very difficult to acquire. My developer of choice has been t-max rs, now extinct, very sad about this one. I process in a Jobo rotary, mixed 1:9, one shot.

At some point I will probably start using Delta 100, but in the meantime I still have about 100 sheets of t-max. I would like advice on something other than xtol, I have well water that goes through a whole house RO system.

I ordered some Ilford ddx to try but it doesn’t look like it likes 75 Deg? Have any of you made a similar switch, and what have you come up with?

www.timeandlight.com
    I know that xtol is quite expensive. Have a look with xtol or brand new adox xt3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew Wiley

The preferable TMax-label developer for sheet film per se, TMax RS, is no longer made. It worked well at 75F EXCEPT that at this high of a temp you get a little edge frilling. It was pricey to use anyway.

As long as you don't end up with development times that are extremely short due to the higher temperature, DDX (or virtually any other general purpose developer) will work fine at 75F.

There should not technically be any problem using XTOL - which will tend to give the best overall balance of characteristics for the majority of films including the T-Max films, Ilford etc. However if you have concerns regarding XTOL, an extremely close "second best" is still D-76 (Ilford ID-11). The T-Max and Delta films work superbly with it, and 75F should not cause any problems.

Relative to XTOL or D-76, Ilford DD-X will tend to give you a very slight speed advantage with a corresponding slight decrease in sharpness, which will be invisible with LF film.

Quote Originally Posted by John Brady View Post

www.timeandlight.com