Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing kids to LF

Introducing kids to LF

I have an opportunity to be teaching photography to some inner city kids next week. The location is such that safety concerns prevent us from venturing out into the neighborhood for interesting subjects to photograph. So we'll be shooting portraits of each other with my Sinar (and mixing in digital and 35mm film as well).

I'm curious if any here have taught LF photography to kids before? I'm not worried about the digital/35mm part since I've done that before. But LF is somewhat new to me and I'm thinking the kids will just think it's cool to see their friends turned upside down in the GG. But I want to let them see something of photography they probably haven't ever seen, which is why I want to do at least some LF.

I ask for advice because I'm a little curious about how to split up what's true of photography in general (light, lenses, aperture, shutter speed, focal length) and what's specific to the operation of a LF camera like focusing and movements. I won't get into anything too complicated, of course, but I want to give them a good taste.

Anyone done anything similar before? Workshops with teens, etc...?

Re: Introducing kids to LF

Not formally but I have worked with my own kids.
    If you're shooting panchro film, load the holders for them.
    Better yet, shoot ortho and have them load their own holders and tray develop their own film under a red safe light. That's fun!
    Besides portraits, They can shoot cut flowers & still life without venturing outside. Have them compose their own "still life" with their own stuff---make them sketch it out first because the upside down focusing bit will probably throw 'em for a loop.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I have worked with kids ( from 7yrs to 18 yrs old) using pinhole cameras made from 8x10 250 sheet photopaper boxes and litho film (we made cyanotypes). The kids made their own cameras (using the boxes at least kept that a constant). Black spray paint for the insides, brass shim material for the pinholes. Construction took a hour or so.

They moved slow at first, but developing the litho film in the darkroom (red safe light) and seeing the results got them so excited we burned thru the litho film! The views are so fun and odd (wide-angle) that it did not matter that the distance the kids could go to shoot was not far.

The cyanotypes were a blast, too.

One or two kids might be interested in the tech stuff ("light, lenses, aperture, shutter speed, focal length and what's specific to the operation of a LF camera like focusing and movements"), but I think most of them will be turned off by it all -- at least until they get results they can hold in their hands. The pinhole cameras and cyanotypes (but one can use photopaper, of course) will teach the kids about light, lenses, light/dark, contrast and composition. Unless you have the kids more than a week, anything more will be tough to teach in a manner that they will be interested in and retain.

This is just my experience, and of course, my opinion...but why teach them something they can do with their phones? They already make portraits every day.

Edited to add: Re-reading my post, m last sentence seems a little snarky. Heroique made a great point about LF. It will be a great experience for the kids! Enjoy!
    Last edited by Vaughn; 9-Jun-2015 at 12:58.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrisbincreative View Post
    ...I'm thinking the kids will just think it's cool to see their friends turned upside down in the GG...
    Just providing them with this experience under the dark cloth will, I think, let them feel the magic of LF photography.

I wouldn't go into any theory or mechanics, but I certainly would invite them to focus on various subjects – maybe even apply a movement or two!

You can count on them to ask their own questions which you can address in simple terms, and they'll never forget what you shared with them.

Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Kudos.
    Indeed.
    If you have a Polaroid back for your 4x5, this would be the time to use it.
    Nothing like almost-instant gratification when trying something new and unknown to encourage the yoots, and help them understand what this kind of photography is capable of doing.

Let me add just one thing. After you are confident that the kids realize how complicated a machine a digital camera, smart phone, or even 35mm camera is, then set up a view camera. After explaining where the lens is and where film would be, pop off the back. I guarantee a few will exclaim, "Hey! It's empty!" And there is your introduction to basics.

I have never taught kids because I don't think goats are quick learners. I did teach children and adults in public schools and colleges for 62 years. Two of my own children learned to use a view camera when they were 8 years old, as I did. For groups, however, only a few of that age will be able to handle the details. My preference for children less than about 12 years of age my preference is to begin with 35mm or pinhole cameras, depending on time available. I like to use a view camera to show how a lens focuses a reversed image, how aperture effects the quantity of light, and how short a time light is passed at 1/100th a second.
    Sorry if some are offended by my preferring not to call children kids, but I think it is a sad commentary on our modern society's lack of attention to the true meaning of words. To me, the term "Kid" is derogatory to children.

I have no experience like that, but got a similar idea in Baltimore after I got a too-good-to-be-true deal on a monorail Toyo and 150mm lens. Some of the details I was thinking of: permission from parents or guardians (no exceptions), pre-setting the focus distance and using a string to place the camera at the right distance to shorten set up time, using a Metz 45 flash for fill light, and fulfill my promises for prints. I wasn't planning on teaching unless a subject asks me. A person very knowledgeable of the area would be necessary. I have adult friends in Baltimore to begin and practice with. That may tell me whether to continue or not.

multiplex

i've demo'd a large format to kids, mainly grammar school aged kids
    they ooo'd an aaaaah'd they looked in back and fiddled with the focus
    other times i showed them a home made 5x7 camera they looked at it
    and i passed around a box camera and told them it was like a cell phone camera
    from 70 years ago, they kind of laughed ... then we made cyanotype photograms
    in an art class. ( i've done this i think 4 times ? ) they had a blast, and some of the
    kids made photograms that looked like they could have been made by man ray or maholy nagy ...

have fun with your adventure !
    john
    Last edited by jnantz; 9-Jun-2015 at 20:13. Reason: -(h)