Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The wacko has gone wacko (scanners)

The wacko has gone wacko (scanners)

Congrats on the camera! I have the same one. At least, I think I do. It's a horseman, and it's a monorail, but there are no markings indicating what model. At school we had LEs, and mine is a little different than those because the front standard has geared focusing, horiz/vert shift, and the tripod block is geared as well. Other than that it's an LE.

If you like it as much as I like mine, you'll be happy

I have mine in a lowepro AW trekker 2 pack, and it just fits. With lenses, 'pod and such, it's pretty heavy to hike around with, but I can manage.

As for scanners, I got this "Canoscan D2400U" thingamajig a few months ago. It was $100 (used). (well, 10,000 yen, but whatever). It's an OK scanner; certainly not as good as the Imacon I used to have access to, let alone drum scans, but as I don't have a darkroom now, it'll have to do. Of course, with this scanner, I can't really tell the difference between Acros and HP5 when scanning at max res. So that's kindof an indication that I'm not really picking up all I can off the film.

Good luck with the camera. Bank on a couple weeks before you really get comfortable with it, but once you do, it may be real tough to go back to anything smaller!

-Tadge

Congratulations, Ellen. I'd like to add to the list of mistakes mentioned by Chris: Pulling the wrong dark slide after the film holder has been placed in the camera. I did this recently. I pulled the slide facing me so that I could see the sheet of film through the ground glass. When I did it, I thought, 'man this doesn't look right,' before it dawned on me what I had done. Stupid, stupid.

Ellen,

Congratulations! You've got most of the answers. A good flatbed scanner such as the Epson 48XX series or the Microtek 1800f will do a fine job, but not as good as a drum scan. John Smith of Photoquick in Asheville does excellent drum scans at a flat rate of $30 per scan. maybe too high to scan everything, but for the special ones it's a good deal and he's reportedly very good. (828) 258-9321.

The February issue of "Backpacker" has a section on reader's favorites, and their favorite photographer is Ansel Adams, which isn't a surprise. What's interesting is that they published a picture of St. Ansel at Big Sur using what appears to be a Horseman L series monorail!

Steve

Ellen; Please don't try all the stunts that Chris Jordan has done. He is a trained professional. Wow, I can't say that I've ever used a toilet for a pre-soak. Ya learn something new here everyday.

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the well-wishes, the tips, and ya'll crack me up too!

Steve, thanks for the heads-up about the drum scanner folks in Asheville - I'll have to mail my stuff but I'm in the northern part of SC so it won't take as long as some of the other service providers I have found [that are outragously expensive and in CA]. I am thinking about getting a flatbed, probably a 4870 but again, I probably won't do that right away. Then again, I might... I dunno!

Now about developing my own stuff... I've developed my own 35mm b&w before but I've never done color and have heard that it's expensive to try and do on your own. And where are you guys finding Jobo stuff? All the vendors I've ever looked at seem awfully expensive. I don't have a darkroom either so I would be comfortable with a daylight tank. Can someone send a link for where I might get a simple (and cheap!) set-up? In the meantime, I've found a fella in Charlotte who will develope my stuff for me.

Gosh! I sure am sleepy - had a hard time getting to bed last night 'cause I was excited and terrified at the same time.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Wow, I can't say that I've ever used a toilet for a pre-soak. Ya learn something new here everyday.

--Jim Rhoades,

Actually, Jim, it's a great way to do rotary processing. Just a flip of the lever to change chemistry, nice swirling agitation, you can do an archival wash in the same container, and clean-up is so simple. And if the temperature gets too low, it's pretty easy to warm up...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Congratulations, your life (and bank account) will never be the same. A 4x5 camera and negative is a joy to use. If you ever want to go the 8x10 route, you should place your self in the wacko catagory.

Mark,

Hey, that toilet "action" might well be useful in polaroid transfers as well as being a clearing tank for type 55P/N with the addition of the appropriate fluids(I won't even try to guess what would happen south of the equator where it goes counter clockwise!)--- LOL!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Welcome to the club!
    We're here for a reason: you can't tie your own straight jacket.

"If you ever want to go the 8x10 route, you should place your self in the wacko catagory."

Louis, I resemble that remark!

Steve