Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Prohibited subjects

Prohibited subjects

I've consistently opposed the inclusion of a For Sale/Wanted category in this forum since before it was added. I haven't found The Lounge as objectionable, especially since it's been policed for forum rule enforcement. However, this thread

is a turning point.

Either The Lounge should go or the forum's list of prohibited subjects, whether posts address them overtly or via innuendo, needs to be expanded.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Prohibited subjects

I think you are being too sensitive Sal. The thread seemed quite under control until your post (and, presumably, your request to have it closed). What, exactly, was your "prohibited subject" concern: the innuendo about forgiveness? This is probably the first time I ever noticed you doing something that appears to me to be rather irrational (mostly starting this thread to supplement what you already posted in the "offensive" thread.

p.s. no hard feelings in any way on my part.

While I strive to be respectful of rules (both in life and on the web), I think we should be mindful of those who post in respectful and healthy discussions. Is posting anything that is against one's own personal beliefs frowned upon? If so, how are we to have discussions? Slippery slope when we start defining the line for forum members on the fly. Then again, I have no issue with you, part of the community, bringing to attention the line. As it's probably not the site's intention to only have the line defined by one side alone.

And if the moderators feel anyone is violating the rules, attacking members, harming the forum/community, then they have been put in place to manage and handle that as they see fit.

The specific thread you post seems like the original poster, was in "awe" (my own words) at the role Annie Leibovitz had in the photos he linked. It is related to photography and seems in the appropriate part of the forum. And with anything on the internet, we have the ability and right to enter or leave a thread or website at our own volition. Lots fo links I, personally, avoid on the web, for I don't care to get involved or go down a particular path.
    Caveat: it seems as if a moderator had already taken action in that thread, thus, perhaps was wiser to just lock it rather than negative/hateful/attacking comments ensue. I do not have any knowledge of what a moderator had previous issues with though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I think you are being too sensitive...
    And I think that thread's OP, as well as most who posted in it, were utterly insensitive and offensive.

...The thread seemed quite under control until your post...
    Surely you jest. Multiple posts were deleted for rule violations before I lost patience and submitted mine.

...presumably, your request to have it closed...
    Presuming is dangerous. I had no moderator contact and made no such request. Oren's action was not precipitated by me.

...What, exactly, was your "prohibited subject" concern...
    I'll not dignify the innuendo in that thread by posting an explicit explanation of it here. Those who engaged in it know exactly what they meant. I suggest you re-read it and consider their intent.

...This is probably the first time I ever noticed you doing something that appears to me to be rather irrational (mostly starting this thread to supplement what you already posted in the "offensive" thread...
    My post in that thread was actually misplaced. It should have been here in the first place. If it's deleted there, I'd be perfectly happy. By the way, accusations of irrationality aren't very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by appletree View Post
    ...I think we should be mindful of those who post in respectful and healthy discussions. Is posting anything that is against one's own personal beliefs frowned upon? If so, how are we to have discussions?...
    Respectful? This (from the thread in question) is what you call respect?

...Personally, I disagree with the whole thing, but mostly saddened by a lost, broken, and confused man. While I have an unpopular opinion in the secular world we live in...it is NOT my place to cast judgement on Annie or Bruce, for well [sic] I can't say why, but you may/may not get my drift...
    Your innuendo in that thread left no question what you were referring to. And there was no respect involved.

One's personal beliefs ought be just that: personal. Where they involve lack of respect for other humans, they should not, in my opinion, be included in discussions here. That's why I started this "Feedback" thread.

...Slippery slope when we start defining the line for forum members on the fly...
    The line needs to be defined by the forum's rules. This thread suggests a refinement of "the line" or elimination of The Lounge. Neither are "on the fly." Both will be considered by the site's owner and the moderators, then rejected or, in some form, implemented.

The specific thread...is related to photography and seems in the appropriate part of the forum...
    The thread in question comes off as bashing someone in transition. Photography appeared to be a pretext for doing that in this forum. To the extent that photography was involved, it wasn't large format photography. I'm more and more convinced that The Lounge isn't an appropriate forum category.

...it seems as if a moderator had already taken action in that thread, thus, perhaps was wiser to just lock it rather than negative/hateful/attacking comments ensue...
    I agree it should have been closed earlier. A lot earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    .+1
    Randy, would you please be so kind as to identify the post number your "+1" refers to? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...My post in that thread was actually misplaced. It should have been here in the first place. If it's deleted there, I'd be perfectly happy...
    It's now been deleted in that thread. Thanks, Oren.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Respectful? This (from the thread in question) is what you call respect?

Your innuendo in that thread left no question what you were referring to. And there was no respect involved.

One's personal beliefs ought be just that: personal. Where they involve lack of respect for other humans, they should not, in my opinion, be included in discussions here. That's why I started this "Feedback" thread.

The line needs to be defined by the forum's rules. This thread suggests a refinement of "the line" or elimination of The Lounge. Neither are "on the fly." Both will be considered by the site's owner and the moderators, then rejected or, in some form, implemented.

The thread in question comes off as bashing someone in transition. Photography appeared to be a pretext for doing that in this forum. To the extent that photography was involved, it wasn't large format photography. I'm more and more convinced that The Lounge isn't an appropriate forum category.

I agree it should have been closed earlier. A lot earlier.
    +1
    Tin Can

It's in the lounge, what's the problem. Sometimes people are too wrapped up and blinkered, not everyone shares the same views.

It's not offensive, perhaps for some it's a difficult topic but it's reality it happens in real life. It's time some just chilled out and stopped aruing for the sake of it.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    +1
    Thanks, Randy. It's clear now.