Thread: Book: Oliver Gagliani

Book: Oliver Gagliani

I bought this 1975 hardbound book titled Oliver Gagliani at Powell Books in Portland today. I had seen this book decades ago and didn't purchase it. It was nice to run across it again. The images are very nice, and their reproduction is excellent. So, it'll make a nice addition to my collection.

Anyway, I got it home and took a closer look. Lo and behold, it turns out to be a signed first edition! I doubt if it's all that valuable, but it's none the less kind of neat.

Re: Book: Oliver Gagliani

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I bought this 1975 hardbound book titled Oliver Gagliani at Powell Books in Portland today. I had seen this book decades ago and didn't purchase it. It was nice to run across it again. The images are very nice, and their reproduction is excellent. So, it'll make a nice addition to my collection.

Anyway, I got it home and took a closer look. Lo and behold, it turns out to be a signed first edition! I doubt if it's all that valuable, but it's none the less kind of neat.
    I was fortunate to have been able to take a class or two from Oliver Gagliani at the University of California Extension back in the 1970's; and then to do a two week workshop with him in Virginia City, Nevada in 1977. He was a fine photographer, a fine teacher and a fine (and very nice) man. And yes, this is a great book, I got it back some time in the 70's and got it signed at the Virginia City workshop. Thank you for rekindling some warm memories.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Lindquist View Post
    He was a fine photographer, a fine teacher and a fine (and very nice) man.
    David
    I could not have phrased it better, and fortunately he is not forgotten! Truly an inspiration, his photography and his life.

Took Oliver's workshop in Virginia City, NV back in 1988 after a recommendation from Fred Picker. Still use the manual he gave us for rating and developing film. He was a truly wonderful photographer and I have several of his B&W prints! As an aside, Oliver was originally trained as a musician, but after suffering hearing loss in the war, turned to photography after seeing a Paul Strand exhibit in San Francisco. He saw counterpoint, and many musical nuances in Strand's photographs which inspired him in his work. He turned to color towards the end of his life. Truly a wonderful photographer! L

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Wow, that's really cool, Neil. Never met the man but I always have admired his work.

Drew Wiley

I accidentally ran into him once while he was doing a local workshop but never knew him personally. He had a strong local reputation as a printer and teacher,
    and obviously took some nice images.

I Think there was only one edition of the book you are talking about. It came in hardcover and softcover and contains most of Olivers iconic images. I too took his Virginia city workshop in 1978 and remained friends with him for many years after. This past year there was an Oliver . Gagliani show at the Gitterman Gallery in NYC. Some of his classic photographs sold for a decent amount of money. Too bad he couldn't live to see it.

I've got a copy of the softcover 1975 book. I got it a few years ago when the View Camera Store had some copies for sale. I just noticed that the book states that it was published in a regular edition of 3000 (hard and soft cover) and a deluxe edition with a print. The deluxe was limited to 100 books. I've never seen an original print but I bet they are impressive. Maybe there will be a Midwest show someday. The prints are also all untitled with a location and date.

Hi Luis-F-S, it's even longer since we met there. It was in the summer of 1987. He was a great person, althoug excentric. He had a strange taste for movies and ice cream. I remember Carson City Cinema showing Robocop and threat of rootbeer float at AW after. He was a great photographer and an even greater printer. In the fall of 2012 , I was in the Weston Gallery in Carmel and saw qute a few of his "cassics" and they were selling for quite some dow. I felt proud to have been his "student" if only for two weeks !

Gudmundur, guess I missed the Robocop screening. Was probably in the darkroom or catching up on my sleep! I'll have to double check the manuf date on my V5. Got it just before I went to the workshop. Remember that T R Esquivel took a photo of me with it!
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 1-Jun-2015 at 18:55.