Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fujifilm PA-145 Polaroid back centering

Fujifilm PA-145 Polaroid back centering

Reading about Polaroid 405 holders and looking at mine, it was a shock to discover they're not centered on any 4x5 camera. Is the Fuji PA 145 better in that regard? I want to use Polaroids with my Technika's rangefinder and type 2 Universal Viewfinder with a 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 mask, which means the back must be centered. Custom machining is also an option, but one I would like to avoid.

Re: Fujifilm PA-145 Polaroid back centering

By centered do you mean the entire thing or 3/4ths? The format size is smaller than 4x5 so you have to have one side be "to the edge" in order to pull out the film, they are all designed that way.

Only the smaller formats like a back that fits on a 6x6 for example will be both off center horizontally and vertically.

Make sense?

If you want it totally centered get a PA-45 and FP-100C45 film imported from Japan as those are all 4x5 instead of the 3.25x4.25 ones. Will cost more of course.

If that's the case, the easier thing might be to have a mask custom cut for the Technika viewfinder to match the Polaroid off centering.

Search Google; there is a Polaroid 405 mask somewhere online that you can download and print.

Polaroid used to give a mask negative with each back (i guess so did fuji). As a rule of thumb:
    1CM from the right up and down - 2CM from the left. Use a chinograph (china pen) to mark your GG. Mine has had those 4 corners marked on every camera i owned. If you really wanted to you can mark the whole frame...

I have a 405 that centers the smaller image of the instant film in the 4x5 back. I've only seen this one, all the rest are off center. I believe that the ones that Alpenhause makes are the centered type.

Quote Originally Posted by photonsoup View Post
    I have a 405 that centers the smaller image of the instant film in the 4x5 back. I've only seen this one, all the rest are off center. I believe that the ones that Alpenhause makes are the centered type.
    Those are from MP3/MP4 and other scientific applications which have no side rear frame restriction. They only fit some 4X5 camera backs (most if not all folders are out of the question)...

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Those are from MP3/MP4 and other scientific applications which have no side rear frame restriction. They only fit some 4X5 camera backs (most if not all folders are out of the question)...
    Mystery Solved? I had always wondered why the 405 backs I was making were "centered" and not so common, mine work well on my 4x5 Polaroid conversions but often would not work on a lot of Graflex cameras.

I knew the "centered" version 405 I have was definately made by Polaroid, I just did not know what version it was called if it indeed has some version designation by Polaroid.

Thanks for the Info koh303!

I now have the proper drawings for both versions of the 405, the "Centered" version and the more common off center 405 version to produce accurate and proper 405 face plates on the Fadal CNC mill.

I just need a source of many Polaroid CB-103 black plastic film holders in near mint shape.

umop episdn

Quote Originally Posted by Dumb Handsome View Post
    Reading about Polaroid 405 holders and looking at mine, it was a shock to discover they're not centered on any 4x5 camera. Is the Fuji PA 145 better in that regard?
    I have a Fuji PA-145, and no, it's not centered with the ground glass either. Bought it new in the box and there was no mask. I made a mask for the ground glass by cutting up a red lighting gel. Laminated the gel for extra rigidity then cut out the center of the gel matching the exact placement of the instant film for precise framing. No help for your rangefinder but the improvised mask on the ground glass works well.

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    I have a Fuji PA-145, and no, it's not centered with the ground glass either. Bought it new in the box and there was no mask. I made a mask for the ground glass by cutting up a red lighting gel. Laminated the gel for extra rigidity then cut out the center of the gel matching the exact placement of the instant film for precise framing. No help for your rangefinder but the improvised mask on the ground glass works well.
    Now I have to check, I swear mine is centered. Or at least centered on 3 sides, the 4th side where the holder hangs over obviously can't be centered as far as I know?