Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using RH designs Analyzer 220v with a Chromega 110v enlarger

Using RH designs Analyzer 220v with a Chromega 110v enlarger

Hello,

I have recently made the switch from 35mm and MF to 4x5 and love it.
    So far i have scanned my LF negatives and printed them digitally on my small printer.

To wet print the negatives in my darkroom i have bought a Chromega Dichroic enlarger.
    For my earlier printing i used a RH Designs Analyzer pro, that made printing a lot easier.
    The analyzer pro is also the timer in the circuit.

However i didn't realise that the Chromega was on 110v while all my other equipment is on 220v.
    (ánd all the plugs are different, american vs. british vs. european)

So somehow somewhere a transformer from 220 to 110v has to be put in the circuit.
    I have been trying to figure how to do this, so the analyzer (and timer) is on 220v the rest on 110v.

Has anybody done this? I's prefer a solution where there is only one transformer.

Workaround so far has been to use the analyzer purely as a analyzer and using a second timer on a 110v circuit.
    However synchronizing the two timers is inconvenient.

Jaap

Re: Using RH designs Analyzer 220v with a Chromega 110v enlarger

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Which power supply do you have with the Chromega? There were a few different ones and they may behave differently to a step-down transformer. The simplest Omega power supply is just a transformer in a box. Although the transformer in the box has three separate primaries, they are for 100V, 110V and 117V. Too bad no 220V. Since this unit has not additional electronics, I suspect it would react normally to a 220V to 110V stepdown transformer.

The Chromegatrol uses a ferroresonant transformer and there are additional electronics in the box. I don't know how well that will behave with a 220V stepdown transformer. Also, the timing electronics may require 60Hz rather than 50Hz.

My recommendation is to seek a 220V power supply for the Chromega head (Part number 412-023).
    http://store.khbphotografix.com/220V...furbished.html

Richard and ic-racer,

- I wil contact RH Designs, from their website is sse taht they have made analyzer pro's for 110v.
    However i have an analyzer pro that works and will also be used for smaller format works, and of course being a bit of a cheapskate
    i would love it if there is some kind of cheap workaround. New anlayzer pro's are approximately 270 pounds sterling that i would rather put in film.

- the chromega is on a standard power supply that reacts normally to the stepdown transformer i have.

Main problem is that the power supply has a combined output for the lamp (24v) and the fan in the colorhead (110v)
    and a separate circuit for the timer, input and output 110v.
    My guess is that the analyzer pro will not funtion (or not correctly) if the input is 110v instead of 220v.

A new powersupply 220v for the enlarger is probably the easiest solution, but not cheap 350 + Shipping + 21% import duties.
    As stated before i would rather put the money in film than in another powersupply.

I have been trying to find a circuitry model for the power supply is have but haven't been able to find one.
    If the loop to the timer is just a circuit breaker it should also work with the analyzer pro.

Thanks so far, Jaap

Hi,
    I am in asia and have a similar setup with a 220V Analyzer pro and a 110V LPL 4500, I used the lamp output of the analyzer pro to trigger a contactor which connect between a 220v/110V transformer and the 110V enlarger. There will be some insignificant delay. You will need one 220V/110V tansfromer, a 220V ac contactor, a metal box to house the contactor. Hope this help.

Quote Originally Posted by jaapdijks View Post
    Richard and ic-racer,

- I wil contact RH Designs, from their website is sse taht they have made analyzer pro's for 110v.
    However i have an analyzer pro that works and will also be used for smaller format works, and of course being a bit of a cheapskate
    i would love it if there is some kind of cheap workaround. New anlayzer pro's are approximately 270 pounds sterling that i would rather put in film.

- the chromega is on a standard power supply that reacts normally to the stepdown transformer i have.

Main problem is that the power supply has a combined output for the lamp (24v) and the fan in the colorhead (110v)
    and a separate circuit for the timer, input and output 110v.
    My guess is that the analyzer pro will not funtion (or not correctly) if the input is 110v instead of 220v.

A new powersupply 220v for the enlarger is probably the easiest solution, but not cheap 350 + Shipping + 21% import duties.
    As stated before i would rather put the money in film than in another powersupply.

I have been trying to find a circuitry model for the power supply is have but haven't been able to find one.
    If the loop to the timer is just a circuit breaker it should also work with the analyzer pro.

Thanks so far, Jaap

Hi hulp181,

Seems to be the solution i am looking for.

i'm not that knowledgeable about electronics, but a contactor seems to be a magnetic switch?
    In the setup for my enlarger the switched on /off circuit of the contactor would be put in the loop where in the normal setup the timer is.
    The magnet of the contactor would be switched on by the circuit of the analyzer and should be on 220v?

Any special details to pay attention to when buying a contactor?

Thanks Jaap
    Attached Files Attached Files

Yes the contractor is a magnetic switch. The control voltage is fed from your timer and it should be 220V. The contactor will loop the 110V power to the enlarger as in your diagram. Ensure that your contactor is rated for 220V 10A will do. A single pole or dual pole contactor will do the job. For single pole type ensure you connect the neutral line of the 110V together. For dual pole contactor just terminate the live and neutral line to of the 110V from the transformer to one end of the contactors and the other end to the enlarger lamp. You should be able to buy these contactor from and Electrical shop, these are used with a timer circuit for security lights and so on. Hope this is clear.

I have ordered a contactor and will let you know if it works.

Thnaks a lot

Jaap

I love the RH Designs Analyzer units, I have the Analyzer 500, the one that works with the Ilford 500 head. I don't make test strips anymore, and I often get a decent print on the first piece of paper. I figure eventually the thing will pay for itself through paper savings. I print everything on 11x14, fibre or RC paper. I should probably go through the calibration procedure for Ilford Classic Fibre paper but that's a lot less fun than printing so I never seem to get around to it. I can now print about ten to thirteen negatives in a three hour printing session and I don't waste so much paper.

Most 220 v items are designed for 50HZ while 110 v units are 60HZ. That would make your timer function inaccurately on the wrong current.