Thread: Single-Sided Release Paper vs Parchment

Single-Sided Release Paper vs Parchment

Besides price, what's the difference between Single-Sided Release Paper that's used in dry mounting and parchment paper that's used in cooking? Both are silicone treated papers.

Re: Single-Sided Release Paper vs Parchment

I don't know the difference but I've been using Costco's parchment paper in a Seal press at low (RC/color) temperature with no problem.

Sizes available
    Tin Can

Parchment paper is not necessarily silicone coated, although Reynolds brand (which I use) is and apparently so is Costco's. It woks just fine, and is large enough for an 11x14 print, but curls vigorously when hot from the press---this makes getting the print under the flattening plate something of a challenge. Except for my relict box of Kentona paper, the texture of the release paper hasn't caused any problems with print marring. And it is a lot cheaper than the last roll of release paper that I bought.

If parchment is working with no issues I don't think there is any harm. But be aware if you change dry mount tissue then you should test it with the parchment release first. There are two primary adhesive types sold as dry mount tissue, solvent acrylic and thermoplastic (polyethylene). The former is more agressive and will cross link better with more materials where the latter creates a surface bond and stops there. Some manufacturers and dealer/distributors sell both, and under the same brand they should have different names. Under one of the most popular brands for example the thermoplastic is less expensive than the acrylic adhesive (as should be the case) but they give no explanation as to why it matters. Many reversable adhesives may actually be thermoplastic but sold as archival and reversable so they charge a premium price for the less expensive and less aggressive product. Bottom line is that while parchment may work in one instance you cannot count on it without running a test to make sure the adhesive does not bond to it.

Drew Wiley

I'd also be worried if the new Chinese-mfg Seal products have changed from Seal-Bienfang days. I just don't know. Just because something will release doesn't mean there isn't a risk of some ingredient migrating into the print. I learned that the hard way once. Or if you wanted the absolute cat's meow, you could order in thin large sheets of true teflon. Pricey. Since I have a big industrial roll of traditional Seal release paper, doubt this is the kind of problem I'll ever have to worry about personally. Even a few simple sheets will last a long time if you are careful. I use Colormount exclusively for its reliability. The so-called archival tissues can
    sometimes fail in hot weather (including summer shipping) and have redundant buffering, which is not necessarily a good thing for every kind of print.