Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How NOT To Buy Someone Elses Rejected Lenses ?

How NOT To Buy Someone Elses Rejected Lenses ?

I would highly suspect that retailers put rejected lenses in the front of the showcase and attempt to sell them to the next person who comes along. "One man's reject is some amateur's favorite lens", perhaps they tell themselves.

Has anyone got any ideas how to get lenses from the back of the display case? Or is there another way to insure fresh stock?

I don't know of any great retailers of LF gear around here. I went to Houston once ... maybe I missed them. Maybe in Dallas? If I could walk in I could see where they grabbed the lens from but I've always mail ordered so far. How many retailers of even substantial LF stock have more than one or two lenses of any given size or brand ... anyway?

Will I have to fly to New York?

(B&H probably puts them in back in anticipation of guys like me.)

I think its wonderful that you have the resources to buy lenses and nothing worse to worry about than whether they've failed someone's acceptance tests.

Beverly Hills, California

Good guys from EBAY (yes you can tell), Badger Graphics, Robert White, and B&H come to mind.

Scott,

You taken your medication today? ;^D

"I would highly suspect that retailers put rejected lenses in the front of the showcase and attempt to sell them to the next person who comes along."

I doubt anyone "rejected" any new or near-new lenses in the showcase. If they did, 99% of them wouldn't know what they were doing. People sell used lenses all the time for a lot of reasons that don't have anything to do with performance; I know I have.

"Has anyone got any ideas how to get lenses from the back of the display case?"

Ask them. They don't care which one they sell.

"Or is there another way to insure fresh stock?"

Didn't know LF lenses got stale. I have some Heliars so sharp I'd hate to think what they'd be like if they were fresh.

You could buy Linhof or Sinar branded lenses; they were individually tested at one time.

Steve

Thanks Dan. I'll take that to heart.

Thanks Steve,

I guess I need to Talk to Bob Soloman (sp?).

So Bob ... what sort of premium am I looking at to get a new Linhof selected lens? I'm looking at three or four lenses compromising an average landscape kit. Say a 58mm WA, a 110mm SA XL, a 180mm and a 240mm.

Not asking for prices ... just a general idea of the premium for a 'selected' lens.

Thanks

Scott,

Retailers return lenses that are new with a problem for replacement.

Distributors return those lenses to the factory for replacement.

Manufacturers may use those lenses as dummys in future shows or just scavaange them for useable parts.

Linhof tested lenses will add a 200 to 400% premium.

Bob,

Thanks ... and YIKES!

Maybe I'll accept the standard deviation.

It's jus that Kerry's tests show large differences between samples of the same model lens. A little bothersome.

Also the incessant talk here abouts regarding lens quality makes a hobbyist like me nervous. In other forums I've heard people talk of sending as many as three samples of a given lens back before getting one one they liked. Again ... paranoia producing. Although these were Canon lenses and not LF.

PS: Just occured to me. Someone out there is willing to pay twice and up to four times normal retail to get a perfect lens. Is this professional driven or 'more money than sense' driven?

Octogenarian

Hi Scott,

Overlooking the issue of whether or not this is a serious case of paranoia, after nearly sixty years of dealing with camera stores and photographic suppliers across this country, I finally found a dealer who I can trust unconditionally. There are several others on this forum who can bear witness to the fact that Jim Andrecki, one of the owners of Midwest Photo Supply, will bend over backwards to serve his customer's photo needs. I wish I could say the same for the other photo dealers I have dealt with.

I realize that you believe that Midwest's new website "sucks", but if you want the best quality for the price, on new or previously owned, equipment, getting to know Jim really pays off in the long run.

By the way, according to Jim this morning, the new website is a work in progress. Improvements are on the way. Please be patient.

Thanks Eugene,

I have nothing against Mid West. I just get ticked when I click on 'Meters' and a little grey box pops up that will not let me chase it down. I'm sure they will get it straightened out. They must be a good outfit as so many folks rave about them. Indeed rare. Thanks again.