Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

Re: 8x10 Scanning DIY for Epson scanners (v700/v750/v800/v850)

Would order one as well, but not at whatever price !!!

Otherwise, a local photographer told me that he scans his Delta 100 8x10 negatives on a V750 but IN COLOR. Anybody else is doing the same ? Any recognized advantage ? (he switches back to b&w in photoshop or Light Room).

Looking forward to the availability for one of those aluminum pieces...

Thanks !
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Tin Can

From your linked journal entry:

"I sourced three sheets of aluminium with differing thicknesses ranging from 1mm, 1.5mm and 2mm so I could see which thickness gave me the optimum focus and structural strength...After quite a few test scans I decided the 1.5mm thick aluminium sheet was best which gave excellent sharp scans and was strong and stable enough for repeated use, the 1mm aluminium was too thin with the film sometimes relaxed onto the scanner glass and was not stable, the 2mm aluminium was too thick leading to a slight loss in focus and sharpness when compared to the 1.5mm film support, it was quite surprising how much a difference 0.5mm made."

Epson scanners are notorious for sample variation with respect to locating the plane of focus at different heights above their glass. While 1.5mm tested as optimum for your scanner, others' might need different thicknesses. Epson, BetterScanning and ScanScience all acknowledge this by making their smaller film holders height-adjustable.

While I would also be interested in purchasing the 8x10 mounting system you've devised, what happens if my scanner (I don't have one yet; just thinking about it) "wants" a different aluminum thickness?

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    While I would also be interested in purchasing the 8x10 mounting system you've devised, what happens if my scanner (I don't have one yet; just thinking about it) "wants" a different aluminum thickness?
    Order the thinnest one and then shim?

--Darin

I'd be interested in buying an 8x10 aluminum negative frame like this just for the convenience of knowing I'm placing the negative in the correct area so I'm spending less time repositioning the negative. It would actually make my scans go a lot quicker because I can just place a piece of Tru-Vue Ultra Vue glass on top of the negative without having to do a preview scan to see if I've aligned it correctly. (on my scanner I get the sharpest scans when I scan on the platen glass with the Tru-Vue glass on top)

I would DEFINITELY buy a "full frame" version of this...

Thanks for the reminder ! What an incredible amount of useful information...
    Pierre Leduc
    Following link is just a recent sample, pending presentable Large Format production...
    HTML Code:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/132200218@N02/

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...While I would also be interested in purchasing the 8x10 mounting system you've devised, what happens if my scanner (I don't have one yet; just thinking about it) "wants" a different aluminum thickness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    Order the thinnest one and then shim?...
    The thinnest one was described as structurally inadequate. Even if 1.5mm (the thinnest "viable") is ordered, what if a particular Epson scanner's optimum full-area focal plane is lower? Shimming would take the film higher, not lower, than it needs to be. "Mill" the glass?

Epson scanner sample variation is problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
    Ari, you're absolutely correct. The frame is cropped by the holder which sucks. The only way to avoid it would be to cut the holder to the exact size of the film and then use clear tape to mount the negative. Or you can scan the negative and then Photoshop the cropped layer on top. The align-layers tool should make the process easier.

Knowing the sharpness benefit, it will be hard for me to scan without it now. Posting another negative that I re-scanned to see if sharpness is indeed a major improvement and once again, holder is significantly sharper on my scanner.
    I'll repeat that I'm nitpicking; a sharper scan is what we all want, and the aluminum holder is doubly useful, as Eric stated, for use in quick and easy positioning of the negative on the platen.
    The difference in your scans is quite noticeable.

There seems to be enough interest to make it worth spending more time on this. My dad said that it'll roughly be around 70-80 per piece at cost if he gets them CNC milled at his shop. He also mentioned that it could be cheaper if we get these "pressed" instead but he doesn't have a sheet press.

Regarding the height, I have a few ideas to make this possibly more flexible. I think if this was machined out from a 2.5mm sheet and had a pocket for the negative that was 1.5mm deep, the holder will still be strong yet only increase the height by 1mm. You could even mount 4 plastic screws on the corners to adjust the height upto 3-4 mm which will give a range of 1-5 mm similar to the betterscanning holder.

These could also be made for 5x7.

Let me know if anyone else have any other ideas to try. We could have our own LF branded holders.

Pali

70-80 what per unit?

Assuming we aren't talking dollers / pounds or euros then I'm interested
    Bruce