Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focusing/composing and being farsighted

Focusing/composing and being farsighted

Now that I'm getting into using the Sinar F (with a roll film back currently, just because I'm moving up from MF) to learn how movements work and which knobs on the camera do what, I'm starting to notice that I have trouble composing and focusing on the GG because I'm farsighted. Even with my bifocals on (I'm only 42 for crying out loud! I can't really get too close to the GG. This means I have to use the big and heavy dark cloth rather than the t-shirt since I need about that much space for my eyes to focus on the GG.

I have a loupe around here somewhere that seems to have scurried off into a corner. I'll definitely be picking one up if I can't find it. But I was wondering if there's anything to do about this other than suck it up that I'm getting older and admit my eyes are rebelling against me? I have the same problem with digital, of course, in that I have to hold the camera away from my face to see the screen. I can't use a neck strap for that reason (the neck strap holds the camera too close...I need it farther away than that).

Will a fresnel help me here?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Focusing/composing and being farsighted

I can commiserate. The GG falls completely outside of either prescription of my bifocals.

I can't imagine how a Fresnel would help other than getting you a brighter, but still OOF, image on the GG. I manage to get by with a magnifier loupe and wearing my glasses on the top of my nose so I can look over them. But I think the real answer is to get a prescription for the distance between the eye and the GG (or LCD on your digital camera).

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I can commiserate. The GG falls completely outside of either prescription of my bifocals.

I can't imagine how a Fresnel would help other than getting you a brighter, but still OOF, image on the GG. I manage to get by with a magnifier loupe and wearing my glasses on the top of my nose so I can look over them. But I think the real answer is to get a prescription for the distance between the eye and the GG (or LCD on your digital camera).
    Are there over-the-counter solutions? Like magnifying reading glasses or something? I can't imagine buying a special pair of glasses just for this is cost-effective. Especially given the fact I already had to buy new computer glasses this year (ouch!).

I ordered a pair of inexpensive generic +6 reading glasses online. I don't think I'll ever need a loop with these glasses. I saw some +7 recently but I don't remember where. Reading glasses are available at Walmart, Walgreens, etc. for just few dollars in powers up to +4.

My vision cannot be corrected to 20/20 and I get along well enough. I found that my bifocals were not optimized for close work. Trifocals helped a lot to see the whole 8x10 ground glass. A 4X loupe for focusing and it's all good. (I do not know why, but a higher magnification loupe hurts more than it helps.)

Best of luck to you,

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by jonbrisbincreative View Post
    Are there over-the-counter solutions? Like magnifying reading glasses or something? I can't imagine buying a special pair of glasses just for this is cost-effective. Especially given the fact I already had to buy new computer glasses this year (ouch!).
    I'm about to buy a pair of glasses dedicated to computer reading. Same problem as with GG for me... and I make my living at a computer so not being able to see well is becoming an impediment. I'm thinking that the spectacles for computer (viewing distance - 24 inches) should be close enough for seeing LF GG. I might be wrong, however, since that is speculation. Ha ha... get it?

But now that I fiddle with my spectacles at the computer... the viewing distance seems to be about 24 inches but the reason I don't use them for either computer or GG is that I need to raise my nick to a very uncomfortable position. Maybe what I'm experiencing is an ergonomic maladjustment more than a vision correction issue.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 18-May-2015 at 10:36. Reason: added last paragraph

multiplex

i use a monocular viewer purchased for a toyo view camera
    ( it kind of looks like that weird thing mark tucker used to make photographs with).
    while my vision isn't perfect, it helps ...

I've been using +3 over the counter reading glasses for 8x10 for several years, but may want something a bit stronger for my 3x4 Graflex SLR........
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    the reason I don't use them for either computer or GG is that I need to raise my nick to a very uncomfortable position. Maybe what I'm experiencing is an ergonomic maladjustment more than a vision correction issue
    Brian, when my eyes changed I had also just installed twin 30" monitors. It was necessary to modify the monitor stand down about 4" so I did not have to look up, tilt my neck so much. Perhaps that would help.

You need cheap reading glasses. the power of which determines how far away your head will be from the GG. Try 3+ or 4+ to start.