Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone seen the Digital Transitions film scanning setup?

Anyone seen the Digital Transitions film scanning setup?

I saw this in a post on the Scan Hi-End Forum

Looks like it's probably out of my price range (what isn't anymore?!?!?!) but interesting that new stuff is still being developed.

http://dtdch.com/page/film-scanning-kit

Re: Anyone seen this scanning setup?

Looks like an incredible outfit... I would really be interested in seeing where this thread goes and here about how this device compares to current scanners.

thanks for posting I bookmarked the page.

Very interesting. I couldn't tell from the page whether the scanning head moves or just takes a single digital shot of each frame.

looks like a phase back taking a single shot with the film being backlight.. kind of like the thread of scanning using a dslr that Peter started a year or two ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Very interesting. I couldn't tell from the page whether the scanning head moves or just takes a single digital shot of each frame.

joseph

It looks like a copy stand to me, with a backlit base. I don't think it will be too long before the outrigger lamps appear...

I don't think it's correct to call it a scanner, since it looks like it uses a lens and digital back to capture an image of an original in one exposure. Their marketing department has different ideas, of course...

Since the choice of capture device is at the discretion of the user, I don't think it would be unfair to say that the DIY scanners discussed on these pages are altogether more sophisticated, both in their ambition and results. Making a single exposure of a single original would always be an option on any machine, I suppose, should speed of throughput be the overriding consideration.

A drum scan will obviously produce the utmost in fidelity, since flare cannot be introduced. Using the stitching technique, photographing small masked windows of an original transparency, might also go some way towards minimising flare. The copy stand approach, making one exposure, will definitely work, and I'm sure the quality of the specified optics and coatings are as good as it gets-

It will be interesting to see the results of comparison scans...

The machine looks well considered, and nicely put together...

Drum scanners(and even hi-end flatbeds, such as the Creos/Kodaks/Fujis/Heidelbergs, etc) are SLOW compared to these newer single/multi-shot systems such as the D/T copystand setup.

These can handle glass plates, a drum scanner cannot. These can handle prints/paintings(with the proper accessory copy lights instead of a backlight), most drum scanners cannot, unless they are small originals, or you have a machine with big drums, never mind the need to wrap the print around the drum...

If you're digitizing small amounts of originals(like film), I feel that paying for drum scans will be a better long-term investment.
    These single-shot setups are designed for HIGH capture volumes(think libraries, museums, private collectors who want to do things in-house, or individuals doing copy work as a business). They are NOT cheap. But they are very high quality, and when operated correctly, deliver as marketed.

-Dan

I haven't used their film unit but I do use their regular capture cradle daily at work.
    http://dtdch.com/page/dt-rgc180-capture-cradle

I love it! The images are great, and the company has been really great to work with.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    These single-shot setups are designed for HIGH capture volumes(think libraries, museums, private collectors who want to do things in-house, or individuals doing copy work as a business). They are NOT cheap. But they are very high quality, and when operated correctly, deliver as marketed.
    Exactly. I work at a history library so high volume is important. And yes they are not cheep.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

It's a neat looking system, although the Capture One Cultural Heritage software alone is $6000. I wonder if they have people telling them that since they're not using a line sensor, that it isn't worth doing? I know some people who like saying that sort of thing.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Have a pro-photographer friend that is genius at making things.
    He had an old cradle off something, built a frame and added one of his cameras to it.
    Worked great