Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How best to dry FP-100c in the field?

How best to dry FP-100c in the field?

I've been looking on the web for information about how best to dry freshly-peeled FP-100c in the field. The advice I've found falls into five categories:

* Stand there, maybe waving the print around, until it's dry
    * Stash the prints in the car (assumes you have a car nearby)
    * Use a home-made drying box that has some way of keeping the prints separated (what's the best way to make one?)
    * Stick the prints between the pages of a notebook (but what kinds of paper are safe?)
    * Don't peel the prints until you get home (but need some way of verifying that exposures are on target)

Does anyone here use much FP-100c on the go? What works best in your experience?

Re: How best to dry FP-100c in the field?

Last year there was a guy selling these nifty racks on eBay for the 3x4 instant film. They were a bit expensive but I got two from him at a discounted rate. I think he was in HK? I haven't looked but I've never seen them on eBay again.

They were fairly well made but they were rough around the edges - mostly there was grit and grime inside from the machining. Just due to time I haven't used them much but after breaking them in and getting the grime out they work pretty well.

I can post pictures if you want.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Sounds cool. By any chance was it this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Peel-A...-/331538591995

Alas, checking the feedback, looks like he's almost doubled the price since last year.

Yep, that's him. It looks like he has changed his design. He added more slots on them.

Occasionally I've shot 20-30+ images in a day, so such a storage device can be extremely handy. After they dried enough I could take them out and store them stacked on top of each other in one of the empty film boxes, but freshly peeled they would stick together.

$160 does seem a bit exorbitant, even with the extra slots. Back when I got them he had a "Best Offer" option, but not now for some reason. Hopefully they are cleaner at that price!

Strap is included.

Bargain!
    Tin Can

Bryan, you've jump-started some brainstorming! Thinking about that rack got me to wondering about small sheet-film developing tanks that might do the same thing for a lot less money. There's a Yankee 4x5 tank that seems to have a rack adjustable for anything from 2.25x3.25 to 4x5. My recollection is that these are hit-or-miss as developing tanks, but it might serve OK as just a rack-in-a-container. If one looks further afield there are also developing racks/tanks for 3.25x4 electron micrograph film that might do the trick.

Hey, good idea!

I have a holder for zip disks that I used to hold glass plates drying. I've also used CD jewel case racks to hold plates drying. If you're a packrat you probably have something that will hold them.

I only shoot a few FP100c at a time, and usually keep them in my shirt pocket (aka cell phone pocket) while developing, and usually I'm shooting people with instant film, so they can display/dry at the same time, or I can ask a person to hold on to a photo for a few minutes.

FP-100c is 85x108 mm, so the jewel box form-factor is a bit too large. And for use in the field, I think a sealed container is best, to keep out dirt. But that's the idea - what kinds of cheap, smallish container have, or can easily be fitted with, slots that would hold something about the size of an FP-100c print? Maybe a card-file box with home-made cardboard inserts, though it would be nice to have the slots already molded into the container.

only $160. Just think how much it'd cost if Leica made it.
    I tried wax paper once and only once.
    Hey Oren,
    I could whip up something similar to the ebay case out of ABS, like my tanks.
    In fact, I'm gonna make a couple just for the hell of it.