Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Re: Picking up a De Vere 5108

Nice going, Luis. My mentor has a 5108 and I'm going to use it to print 4x10 negatives. I even got a power cable from RH Designs that goes between the 5108 and the RH Designs f stop timer. It's nifty.

Yeah, Gudmundur, show people some real silver prints. I'm tired of hearing how inkjet has surpassed silver. I just don't see it.

Thanks Larry, do you have your 138 working the way you want it? I my have to store my Durst if I decide to set up the DeVere. I'll just have to wait and see which one I prefer to print with. I'm having an adaptor board made for the Devere to let me mount my Lapla mounted lenses on it. That way I don't have to get all new Devere lens boards!

Big decision but you search for a 8x10. You cannot go wrong with a DeVere.
    What head will you have?
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com

I've been having fun printing with an Ilford 500 head and an adaptor box. I've been meaning to start a thread on my setup. Ginette (Hi!) helped by providing the dimensions of the box and Jay from NewVisionPhoto on eBay got the box fabricated. I'm grateful for their help!

Working with the densitometer function in the RH Designs Analyzer 500 has been enlightening. I can nail a good print right away, no test strips. After that, it's easy to see where you can go with a print. I know the timer will soon pay for itself in paper savings.

Ginette, it has the Dichroimat head. It looks like a relatively new unit, will see how it works when I pick it up. L

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5267s.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	133309

Larry, is the Ilford head 4x5 or 5x7? Have never used the RH timer. How does the analyser work? This one has the DeVere timer, so I guess I'll use that for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    It looks like a relatively new unit, ...
    Wow!

The lab I use has two 5108's and 3 504 DeVeres that they'll be getting rid of at some point. Haven't been used in 10 or so years. Unfortunately, all have closed loop heads, or I'd get one of those, but I really want the manual dichromat head. I'm sure I'll pick up some "spare parts" when they decide to get rid of them. I'll post when those are ready to go in case someone wants to make a trip to the Big Easy.

I have the same colour head on mine but it has a relay unit attached to the side that allows the fans to remain running for an adjustable time after the exposure or when it's been on for focussing etc.

Ian

Make sure to check max contrast. DeVere's have the filters between the halogen and the heat reflecting glass. The filters do fade. When I replaced them on my 504, max contrast jumped up a full grade.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

That's the head on my mentor's 5108. Yours looks minty fresh, nice!

The Ilford 500 head covers 5x7 if you use the 6x7 mixing box and the adaptor box to raise the head so that the inverse square law related to light falloff covers 5x7. Out of the box, the Ilford head only covers 4x5.

The Analyzer 500 timer has a probe that is used to sample different areas of a negative. You have to be sure to turn off the safelight when sampling. The sampled densities are placed on a gray scale that is displayed on the timer. The scale runs from white with texture to black with texture.

After you have your samples, you manipulate your contrast and exposure to get the sampled values at either end of the scale, if your negative has a full range of tonality. You can also do things like sample a skin tone and place it on the scale. After that, you press print. The head operates solely in split contrast mode, making two exposures, one for shadows and one for highlights.

Out of the box, the Analyzer 500 timer is calibrated for Ilford RC papers. I need to calibrate it for Ilford Fibre classic but it is not that far off, considering.