Having harshly criticized B&H on this web site before, I feel should acknowledge when they do well, and I must say that their new "Professional Photo Sourcebook " is probably the best photo catalog anywhere. Its 8.5 x 11, about an inch and a half thick, 600 pages long, and is devoted entirely to medium- and large-forma t cameras, along with accessories useable in all formats. Unlike the glossier Ca lumet catalogs, its not in color, but then 99% of photographic items are gray o r black anyway and the new B&H catalog has pictures of many things that arent s hown anywhere else.

How detailed is it? The section on large-format cameras and lenses is 122 pages long and shows a lot of things you cant find out about anywhere else (e.g., 12 pages on ArcaSwiss, 24 pages on Linhof, even 4 pages on Wisner).

At least as useful are the accessory sections of the catalog: 66 pages of bags a nd cases, 70 pages of filters (lots of goodies here for LF users, especially if you've struggled to find solutions for large and odd-sized front lens elements), 22 pages on light meters, 66 pages on tripods, and 46 pages of otherwise-hard-t o-learn-anything-about "pro accessories," ranging from lens hoods and step-up ri ngs to repair tools and aftermarket MF backs. There also are informative introdu ctory sections on things like light meters, filters, and large-format camera mov ements, good primers (and reminders) for almost any photographer.

The catalog says "$9.95" on the cover, although I would guess its sent free to recent or regular customers; for those who havent bought there in awhile, there may be a discount arrangement on your 10 bucks when you place your first order (check www.bhphotovideo.com). Anyway, congratulations to the folks at B&H on a j ob very well done!