Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Pricktorialism

Re: Pricktorialism

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Thanks, I really like the early efforts to make very fast lenses for 35mm cameras in the 1940s and 1950s. This Nokton 50/1.5 I got on a Prominent exactly 2 years ago. I never shot the camera, I have way too many, and sold it and a couple less famous lenses. Then I started searching for an adapter to put it on Leicas. But I discovered that whereas most adapters cost $20, the Prominent adapters were around $230. After selling the camera, I had less than that much in the lens itself. The reason they are so expensive is they have to have the focusing helical. The Prominent camera does the focus, the lens just rides the mount. I'm a stubborn guy when it comes to prices, and decided to just watch and wait. 2 years later I got an excellent, CNC made Amedeo adapter for Leica M, for a good price. I'm enjoying this lens a lot. Stopped down it becomes very sharp. As sharp as a Sumicron easily.
    I share your interest in fast lenses, but also like the designs coming out into the 1960's. My interest is for the speed, which I often need when shooting film, but I also have learned that I prefer the look of the earlier lenses. My main users are a mid 30's 5cm 1.5 Sonnar and a 1960's 35mm Summilux. If a more general thread pops up on classic era fast lenses I should have some contributions, but I mosty photograph people, and tend to avoid the prickly ones. I'm enjoying looking through the images here though.

Here are more from the Nokton 50/1.5. I think the background looks like a Monet:

Like!

Double Like!
    Tin Can

I got out the other evening and got a shot that looks in the style, except for no prickers you can see! We did find them, bushwacking back to the trail. (click for larger)

It's May in the desert again. 1956 Jupiter 8.

Two more from yesterday's visit to my usual "sharp and spiny plants" location, the Arizona Cactus Garden at Stanford University. Both shot with the Imagon 250mm, and both rather under-exposed, which surprises me, as they were both in direct light, and I was worried about over-exposure.

03-16-2021-04 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr
    Arizona Cactus Garden, Stanford University. Ebony 45SU, Rodenstock Imagon 250mm. H7.7/9.5 disk at H7.7, 1/100". Ilford Delta 100 film.

03-16-2021-06 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr
    Arizona Cactus Garden, Stanford University. Ebony 45SU, Rodenstock Imagon 250mm. H5.8/7.7 disk at H5.8, 1/100". Ilford Delta 100 film.

1/100 is what my shutter actually does when set to 1/125. I used the "4x" ND filter on both, and probably should have set the shutter to 1/60. Oh well, it was still fun to get out and shoot for the first time since September. Lockdown and cancer have made it inconvenient to get out and shoot.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

A couple more, this time with the Imagon without any disks, and with Rollei RPX 25.

The first one I think turned out well:

08-20-21-03 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

I'm not so sure about the next one. It really did look a lot better upside down and backwards on the ground glass:

08-20-21-05 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

A few weeks ago, I took the 250mm Fujinar (single coated Tessar copy) and 250mm Imagon with me to the Arizona Cactus Garden at Stanford, with 3 holders of Rollei RPX 25, and shot the same composition with each lens, trying to match the F-stop and H-stop as best as I could.
    They are Fujinar and Imagon in that order for each composition, which should still be pretty obvious.
    The first two:
    03-14-2022-01 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr 03-14-2022-02 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

Are at f/5.6 for the Fujinar and no disk for the Imagon.

--
    The next two:
    03-14-2022-03 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr 03-14-2022-04 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

Are at f/8 for the Fujinar and the H7.7 disk open for the Imagon.

And now for the last two:
    03-14-2022-05 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr 03-14-2022-06 by Drew Saunders, on Flickr

Are at f/8 for the Fujinar and H5.8 disk open for the Imagon.

I've just finished scanning and processing, so I haven't had time to think about which I prefer.

Drew

Somehow, I've completely missed this thread

.... until now

I think it deserves an award for the most original use of Prickbaiting techniques