Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Lightweight Camera System

Re: New Lightweight Camera System

Point taken Drew...and I should amend by adding that the "ritual" is that which best helps the photographer to best connect with the subject/conditions at hand. So no, this is not fixed - aside from the technical necessities which need to be learned well so that they, along with the physical aspect of the camera, can virtually "disappear." Nor do I use scales. In fact, once I'm under the dark cloth, I don't even want to look at the camera. I want it to go away. But I do tend to chat with myself, either aloud or silently, during my "ritual," and I can see how counting turns on a wheel, while my gaze might remain affixed to the ground glass, might be useful - and in a way that would not necessarily interfere with what has, by then, hopefully become a connection significant enough to allow me to then see completely in both directions - from that which exists beyond the lens through to the final print. Then again, turning a wheel, I just might lose count!

joseph

There are no scales on the camera, there is no need to read off a scale to determine the spread between near and far focus.

You are free to ignore the distance between near and far, if wide open is the style you practice, or you can count the revolutions of the handle on the hand wheel, without having to look at it, if that information is important to you. Since one revolution of the hand wheel will adjust focus by 2mm, it's quite easy to use the focus spread between near and far points to inform your choice of aperture, as indicated by QT's article from this site, and linked to on the page I mentioned.

I never mentioned the hyperfocal anywhere, though the same system could be used to calculate that too-

However, for the reasons indicated by Jim Becia- if sufficient depth of field is important to the picture, this camera allows that calculation to be made while checking focus on the screen, without the need to consult scales on the camera bed.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Jb keep it up. The design idea and what I've seen so far are great. Wish I had the same skill.

Drew Wiley

It would be no big deal to me either way. I'm the type of guy who would home in on the relation between weight-portability and rigidity. After that, the special
    features. What is so nice these days are the options in special materials like carbon fiber, which allow new ways of addressing these problems. Just about any
    modern ULF camera is going to be expensive, so the detailing is another thing I'd look at as an indicator of overall quality. The people who want to tape a piece
    of film to the back of a paint can and punch a pin hole in the lid are a different crowd entirely. I admire good machining, good fit and finish.

joseph

Thank you Jim, appreciate the words of a master maker-
    got to aim towards your bigger size cameras soon-

Looks intriguing!
    Waiting forward to try it.
    And when is it planned to launch?

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    Looks intriguing!
    Waiting forward to try it.
    And when is it planned to launch?
    'Launch' might be too strong a word...

I'm working on making the prototype, then it will have to be tested. As soon as it looks like it works reliably, then I'll be inviting others to test it, and provide feedback. Only then, and only if it still seems like a good idea, will a launch be considered...

I'm making progress on it, but it will be slow...

Lachlan 717

Grabbed my shovel to dig this one up from the archive....

Any updates on this one, Joseph? I can't access the website any more.

(I've recently got a large slab of CF ready to redo my 7x17" home made).
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Too bad - that C812 would be an ideal camera for me. 8x10, 5x12, 8x12 all interesting formats for one camera.
    The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
    http://www.searing.photography

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    ...Any updates on this one, Joseph?...
    He hasn't been here since May 19, 2017. I don't suggest holding your breath waiting for a reply.