Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Lightweight Camera System

joseph

Re: New Lightweight Camera System

Thanks Drew. Sorry if you haven't found everything, but the only movement the camera is missing is rear rise and fall. I can't comment on your other claims.

It sure is pretty..not sure how it collapses for transport though..and didn't see a link to that on the site.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

joseph

It will fold up like the original prototype- this picture is on the Design Goals page, there are more pictures there too-

The camera is beautiful and looks very well built. Whether or not you ever go commercial with this, it is an amazing achievement!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I like the box joints, they look nice and are much stronger than miters which I've seen on some new camera designs lately.
    Hey guys, I don't know of too many talented woodworkers/metalworkers/carbon fiber workers who are also website savvy. Give him a break.

All I can say is "WOW" - there is a lot of creative work here - hope you find the time and resources to bring this to market.

Drew Wiley

OK. I watched the video with the bag concept. Clever. But I guess the devil will be in the details in terms of preventing the fabric from scuffing the film or having
    light leak risk over time. Vinny - I am giving him a break, but also know that once he pins down the prototype he'll need something more marketing friendly. I deal with incredible wood and carbon-fiber workers (and all kinds of specialty materials) every day. Some are extremely web savvy. Some aren't. It's easy enough to get help with those kinds of things. These are the kinds of tips he needs. Some of us are aware of a number of near-misses in terms of film handling alternatives, like the Mido system. Everyone would like some kind of option. But prototypes need to be made, and frankly tortured under real-world conditions for awhile, to discover where the weak links are. The question I posed about film flatness is an important one. Not everyone shooting big cameras does so to attain an old fashioned look. Film is held by the perimeter but not kept tight in the middle. The biggest risk would be if the bag material caused enough static
    to tug that big piece of film especially out from the plane of focus in the center. I routinely use staticides on darkslides, but don't know the risk of these to film
    if they somehow got in direct contact with the emulsion. Any kind of waterproof, lightproof fabric material is going to have to address this issue. One more link
    in the chain.

Use very minimal clearly-written textual content combined with very pretty imagery that supports the text and shows important details. Simple is better. Pretty is better. Easy logical clear navigation is a must.

This isn't a criticism at all. I'm in awe of that camera and am a bit sad that I know I could never afford such a beautiful work of industrial art and craftsmanship.

Wow! Light weight, gorgeous looks, high functionality (and relatively weather proof?) and sturdiness in a form that presents something new and unique! I would love to see this in person! I'll PM you very soon to share some of my own successes and trials of attempting to bring something "outside the box" to market. In the meantime, you can grab my website from my profile and get a look at my design. Good luck, and I'll be in touch!

joseph

Thank you all so much for the encouragement. It really helps, makes it seem as if it's in some way worthwhile.