Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

I have been trying to think of a way to capitalize on some of my misspent education, and I would like your comments (positive, negative, or otherwise) on this idea for an iOS iPhone/iPad App. Would you buy this? What features would you like to see included?

I have always found it difficult to visualize what a scene would look like in black & white, and how different filters (e.g., #8 yellow, #11 yellow-green, #22 orange and #25 red) will affect the final image. The app would be a virtual view camera, you will be able to specify the format (4x5 or 8x10), film speed (100, 400), lens focal length (e.g., 90, 150, 210, 300), filter (#8, #11, #22, #25), filter factor (tied as default to the filter but changeable), and exposure adjustment, and you will see a preview of the image (in B&W) and recommended exposure.

Second edition will include a histogram, development adjustment (e.g., normal, +/- 1 stop push or pull), more filters, and polarizing filter. Maybe a virtual Neutral Density Graduated filter (you could change hard/soft, strength, rotate, and position)

Third edition would take advantage of the touch screen, and build in a Zone system. Tap where you want Zone III, Zone VII.

Thanks for your comments.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

Lachlan 717

Re: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Robert,

Nothing much new here.

Quote Originally Posted by robertrose View Post
    I have always found it difficult to visualize what a scene would look like in black & white, and how different filters (e.g., #8 yellow, #11 yellow-green, #22 orange and #25 red) will affect the final image.
    Already available - Hueless app.

Quote Originally Posted by robertrose View Post
    The app would be a virtual view camera, you will be able to specify the format (4x5 or 8x10), film speed (100, 400), lens focal length (e.g., 90, 150, 210, 300), filter (#8, #11, #22, #25), filter factor (tied as default to the filter but changeable), and exposure adjustment, and you will see a preview of the image (in B&W) and recommended exposure.

Second edition will include a histogram, development adjustment (e.g., normal, +/- 1 stop push or pull), more filters, and polarizing filter. Maybe a virtual Neutral Density Graduated filter (you could change hard/soft, strength, rotate, and position)

Third edition would take advantage of the touch screen, and build in a Zone system. Tap where you want Zone III, Zone VII.
    Mostly done with Reciprocity Timer and Pocket Meter

So, as I already have these apps, I really wouldn't be too interested in this idea.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I would, but only for Android.

Thanks. This is what I needed to know.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

no 5x7?

If I do this, I will include 5x7

Android has an SDK separate from Xcode, and iOS 8 has some features that will be useful in building the app. Also, I can program in Objective C for iOS, but we will see how much how much trouble it is to port the C code to something SDK likes. But, that said, I won't forget the Android platforms.

I see some space for this separate from Hueless. In any case the price will be low.

I really appreciate the comments.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

It answers no needs which have not already been addressed well enough to satisfy those who use such crutches. I have absolutely no need for it since I do not use a telephone for anything other than to make calls.

I appreciate your ambition, however there are simple means to do all the same without an app.

OK, I understand. I may build it just for the exercise and those who want it will get it. I plan to keep it cheap in any case.
    Robert Rose
    robertrose.photos

I would love this but you would need to cover lots of formats, I would personally want 2x3, 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, 14x17 and 12x20

See, there's are many like me with random formats so... You have some work on your hands, and I would only want it as a viewer.