Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scanning 5x7 images

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scanning 5x7 images

When I got it, my epson wanner came with a 4x5 negative carrier. It is not an ideal solution, but works fine when digitising material for non-commercial purposes. As of late, I have been shooting an increasing number of 5x7 sheets, which are great for contact prints. However, when I decided to get some digital output things got tricky. I use an epson v700 and could just put the negatives straight on the glass. This does not yield satisfactory results. Then I popped in a sheet of glass to space the negative by about the same amount as the carriers do. This improves the image quite a bit, but does not do the original justice. I've looked around, but there are few if any dedicated 5x7 carriers. It would be great if you could share your scanning techniques for 5x7 (and larger). Any help would be much appreciated. In case you have suggestions for negative carriers for epson, names would be nice. Thanks in advance!

Re: Scanning 5x7 images

If you want an out-of-the-box solution, get one of these: http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/mstation.html

There are also many threads on 5x7 scanning that might be worth reading: https://www.google.com/search?q=site...on+scanner+5x7

You can use mat board - basically with a rectangle cut out of the middle, and spacers, or various thicknesses to adjust the height. You can use a piece of glass as a spacer too.
    -Adam

I have gotten some acceptable scans by taping the negative to a sheet of glass. Then I turn the glass upside down and rest it on four dimes. YMMV

I found the mat board negative carrier to be very effective for 5x7 negatives on the v750.

I use the Epson wet mounting carrier that came with the 750 - takes almost no extra time to wet mount (I've timed it at 28 seconds per negative) and the nice thing is that the 5 x 7 neg fits in the higher resolution area.

Another homemade mat board carrier user here (with the 4990). I haven't measured the thickness, but it seems pretty close to that of the carriers that came with my scanner.

I still have my 3870 and look forward to the days when I can replace it with either a V799 or V800 series scanner.

I'm not sure about the more recent scanners, but I made my own holder and was able to scan 5x7 transparencies with the 3870.

Thanks for all the input

I had seen quite a few of the threads and have been playing with self-made contraptions, glass plates and direct scans on the flatbed. None of these have so far really given me good scans. I guess the logical way forward is to spring for a betterscanning or other holder. A bit expensive though with the current exchange rates, shipping and customs charges. Will try to stick to 4x5 for now. A shame though 5x7 is a great format.

Tim Sandstrom

I'd say keep shooting the 5x7, whether you get the very nice better scanning device or not. 5x7 is its own reward, and you'll never regret having those big negatives later, when you might have more money, time, skill, technology, to go back and make better scans... [or even wet print!]

I love 4x5 but 5x7 is -for me- closer to my natural vision...

Make sure to test for the best height above the scan bed. That can range from 0 to about 3mm.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know