Thread: Horseman 45FA Lensboard question

Horseman 45FA Lensboard question

I bought a fairly nice 45FA today. One of the items that came with it was what appears to be a Copal #1 22mm Extended Lensboard. Here is a crazy question. What would it be used for? I'm guessing it's to get a little extra length to the bellows?

Now I just need to move lenses from Horseman LX lensboards and at least one from a Super Graphic lensboard.

What are the widest and longest lenses the camera can use? I'm especially interested in getting it so I can use my 90mm Rodenstock Grandagon-N MC. The other main lenses I can see moving over are my 150mm and 210mm.

Thanks,
    Zane

Re: Horseman 45FA Lensboard question

Copal #1 shutters need to extend from the lens board so the controls don't get hung up on the camera—22mm is a little more than you need, but will work just fine. I use lenses on my FA from 90mm-240mm. The 240 is on an extended board because the bellows are a bit too short, your 210 will not have that issue.

The Horseman FA is a nice well-built, and compact light-weight camera. I like mine a lot.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

umop episdn

FA owner too. Great camera. The only limitations on lenses will be if the rear lens element will fit through the opening on the front standard, and if the camera has enough bellows extension for focus. Here's a chart of some usable lenses: http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/lens_list.html

Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    FA owner too. Great camera. The only limitations on lenses will be if the rear lens element will fit through the opening on the front standard, and if the camera has enough bellows extension for focus. Here's a chart of some usable lenses: http://www.kenko-pi.co.jp/horseman/e/lens_list.html
    Fantastic link, thank you! As near as I can tell both my 90mm and 210mm are on that chart as usable. My Schneider Symmar-S 5.6/150mm isn't on the chart, but as near as I can tell, it should fit. Honestly the most important is that the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8 is supported, as I have a project that it, and the 6x12 back will be a perfect fit for, and it looks to work just fine.

The Nikkor-W 210mm, says it needs a "Lens Panel with C-1 ring". What exactly is that? I'm wondering if I can simply use the one I have with the 22mm extension.

Thanks,
    Zane

Widest lens = about 65mm. Shorter lenses barely can allow the front standard to grab the rails.
    Longest lens = maybe 700mm?
    Major limiting factor with all lenses is the size of the rear element and if it fits through the hole in the front standard.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LongExtension.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	132642

Quote Originally Posted by healyzh View Post
    Fantastic link, thank you! As near as I can tell both my 90mm and 210mm are on that chart as usable. My Schneider Symmar-S 5.6/150mm isn't on the chart, but as near as I can tell, it should fit. Honestly the most important is that the Rodenstock Grandagon-N 90mm f/6.8 is supported, as I have a project that it, and the 6x12 back will be a perfect fit for, and it looks to work just fine.

The Nikkor-W 210mm, says it needs a "Lens Panel with C-1 ring". What exactly is that? I'm wondering if I can simply use the one I have with the 22mm extension.

Thanks,
    Zane
    The Horseman FAQ says the C-ring moves the shutter a little forward of the lens panel for easier access.

While that rear bellows looks like an interesting option, I think I'll simply use my Horseman LX at that point. :-)

I have what looks to be a "Lens Panel with C-1 ring" on the way from Japan now. I tried mounting the Nikkor 210 in the spare board I have, but with that 22mm, extension, the rear element won't screw in. So it looks like I still need to find a Copal #0 boards.

Does anyone happen to know how long it takes boards to show up from the various eBay sellers? It looks like a couple claim to ship from the US, but reading the item description, it appears they likely have to get the item from China first.

The lens board from Japan got here amazingly fast. The two from a US seller, in spite of apparently coming from Hong Kong, got here a few days later. I can't wait to be able to take the camera out and use it. Work though has had other ideas, in fact I finally got the last lens mounted this afternoon.

Zane