Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deardorff Shake & Take Solution

Deardorff Shake & Take Solution

I've been noticing that my Deardorff 8x10, when mounted on a Manfrotto 3039 head and a Manfrotto 475 tripod will shake quite a bit, if bumped. Is this characteristic of Deardorff 8x10 cameras? Mine is pretty solidly built. I'm also thinking that my tripod/head combination should be able to handle an 11 lbs camera.

Obviously, if the camera gets bumped, it's a matter of letting it settle, and then taking the photograph. But to ask rhetorically, if it's susceptible to shaking in this manner, what happens if a wind comes along?

Re: Deardorff Shake & Take

You could try using a Gitzo PL5 3 way head instead so the head has more coverage on the base of the camera. It might help with the shake.

I have the same tripod and head combo as you and it worked perfectly for my Cambo 8x10 but that might also be because the rail mount was the size of the tripod head attachment piece.

I use a Ries A100 and don't have any issues. L

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I've been noticing that my Deardorff 8x10, when mounted on a Manfrotto 3039 head and a Manfrotto 475 tripod will shake quite a bit, if bumped. Is this characteristic of Deardorff 8x10 cameras?
    Neil, it is due to the New Physics. Have you noticed, as I have, that over the years the camera has become heavier, our feet move more slowly, and our eyes are a bit dimmer than when we entered photography?

No help, I realize, but the phenomenon apparently moves with prevailing winds from West to East. Thanks from the Upper Midwest for the warning.

Quote Originally Posted by neil poulsen View Post
    I've been noticing that my Deardorff 8x10, when mounted on a Manfrotto 3039 head and a Manfrotto 475 tripod will shake quite a bit, if bumped. Is this characteristic of Deardorff 8x10 cameras? Mine is pretty solidly built. I'm also thinking that my tripod/head combination should be able to handle an 11 lbs camera.

Obviously, if the camera gets bumped, it's a matter of letting it settle, and then taking the photograph. But to ask rhetorically, if it's susceptible to shaking in this manner, what happens if a wind comes along?
    It's the tripod and head. Get a wooden one, Ries or Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by axs810 View Post
    ... so the head has more coverage on the base of the camera...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It's the tripod and head. Get a wooden one...

Both are Excellent suggestions!
    Agreed in full 110%...

At the very least... I too would suggest a different Tripod Head (*One with a much more 'substantial' Fixed Base or QRP).
    --
    Best regards,

-Tim.
    _________

I've been noticing that the head is long as well, which contributes to the moment arm.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I use a Ries A100 and don't have any issues. L
    Nor I.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    It's the tripod and head. Get a wooden one, Ries or Otto.
    I beg to differ; that combination is heavy and large, but very stable. I think all that's needed is to increase the area of contact between camera and QR plate.
    The 3039 uses hex plates, so if you can find that Manfrotto hex plate that came with a 4x4 inch platform, you should see a big difference.

Another possibility is that the set screws in the tripod's platform -- the pointed ones that go through the platform and engage the bottom of the head -- have backed out a little. Back them out a couple of turns, verify the the head is screwed as tightly as possible on to the platform, and retighten the screws. I mention this because I've had those !@#$ screws back out in transit.

Also verify that you have genuine Manfrotto hex plates. I have a couple of knockoffs that are a little too thin and will move in the head. Shimming them or just putting darkroom tape on their bottoms fixed that.