Thread: Soligor Spot Sensor II Needle Not Moving

Andrew "The RedSun"

Soligor Spot Sensor II Needle Not Moving

This meter was working before, but is somehow broken. We can't see the needle. So when I get a flashlight in front of the lens, I can see the needle parked to the far right, beyond the highest light level. And it does not move when it is powered on.

Is this meter broken? The motor burned? Anyone has the same problem?

Re: Soligor Spot Sensor II Needle Not Moving

Since no one has answered, I will.

Your meter may be more expensive to repair than it's worth.

However, contact Quality Light Metric in Hollywood if you want to try repairing it. My contact info is a bit old, so I hope it's all still current. Best to call and talk to them.

QUALITY LIGHT METRIC CO.
    7095 Hollywood Blvd. #550, Hollywood, CA 90028
    Phone: 323-467-2265

Doremus

First of all, that is a great meter and it is worth a bit of investigation to see if you have just a simple electrical problem.

Last week, my Pentax V (similar) was having problems that turned out to be a combination of bad batteries and a need for cleaning even through there was no visible crud from a typical leaking battery.

Testing the batteries on a meter in the camera store showed that they were dead. Installing new ones that had been tested good had no effect.

Even though the chamber and cap appeared completely clean, out gassing can form a film over the contacts which had happened. A light rubbing with an abrasive pencil like an old typing eraser (office supply store) followed by a burst or two from a can of compressed air had me working perfectly in moments. Be sure to clean the contact inside the meter body as well as inside the battery cap. Repeat if it doesn't work the first time just in case you didn't rub quite enough with the eraser.

If these actions don't fix it, then it is time to look to a repair person.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Quote Originally Posted by RedSun View Post
    This meter was working before, but is somehow broken. We can't see the needle. So when I get a flashlight in front of the lens, I can see the needle parked to the far right, beyond the highest light level. And it does not move when it is powered on.

Is this meter broken? The motor burned? Anyone has the same problem?
    The axes on which the needle turns is probably broken. Could happen if the meter was dropped.

The meter movements in light meters are delicate. It doesn't take much to jam them. I've had the needles stuck against the dial face or glass. Also, a tiny piece of iron can lodge between the magnet pole pieces, restricting the needle movement or blocking it entirely. RedSun's problem may have been caused by excessive light on the meter, causing the needle to jam against something. It is probably repairable.

I dropped mine some 15 years ago. The needle didn't moved but I don't remember if needle was stuck at right like yours.
    I send it for repair and it work still this time. If you like it, send it for the repair, maybe it can be an easy fix.
    My Lumen project http://ginetteclement.com