Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Re: Would This Virtual View Camera App Idea Interest Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If it helps any, I agree with your assessment of iTunes (what was apple thinking?) and I'm not a fan of "subscribing" to things, but iTunes Match has been a blessing, and I highly recommend it! $25/year and no more iTunes Syncing or storing any music on my phone, it's great.
    Thanks, I'll check that out.

I can't imagine what they were and are thinking either. It's widely derided even by those of us who love our iPhones as the biggest pile of steaming digital poo ever foisted off on the computing public but they still push it and require it. It's like it's the special child of someone high up at Apple and you ARE going to use it. To be fair I know precisely one person who actually really likes it. Maybe he was part of their focus group.

I find working briefly with the iPhone before setting up the camera helps me a lot. I tend to use it like polaroid. It has lead me to go ahead with images I was doubtful of, so reluctant to set up, that I now love. Also the reverse, allowed me to see something wasn't working without wasting setup time. Looking at the image in B&W on a flat screen not unlike the ground glass is great. An upside-down/backwards option would be great too. I see better that way.
    I just tried Hueless and it seems pretty limited, and has some problems. I'd look at your app

I would love a virtual viewfinder for 4x5 and various lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Don't listen to those curmudgeons. Some of them are old enough to remember hand-cranked telephones and party lines. Probably told ole Alex Bell the same thing. They will not be customers anyway, unless you can include a rotary dial app. They are so old they can only see in black and white, and the computers they had were made of wood
    With good luck you too will be old some day. So shut up!

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    The lens is somewhat limited in terms of the wide end. You can get a WA lens that overcomes this, but it's just another hassle in the field.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I find working briefly with the iPhone before setting up the camera helps me a lot. I tend to use it like polaroid. It has lead me to go ahead with images I was doubtful of, so reluctant to set up, that I now love. Also the reverse, allowed me to see something wasn't working without wasting setup time. Looking at the image in B&W on a flat screen not unlike the ground glass is great. An upside-down/backwards option would be great too. I see better that way.
    I just tried Hueless and it seems pretty limited, and has some problems. I'd look at your app
    I would agree with this (except that I haven't yet tried Hueless but for two bucks there isn't much to lose.)

I also use mine as a kind of photographer's notebook. Unlike any dedicated camera I ALWAYS have my iPhone with me. If I see something I'd like to come back and explore with another camera I can take a few shots, jot down some notes on it, and if I feel I need it as a way to find it again even drop a pin on the GPS map. It's somewhat similar to how my wife, a writer of poetry and short fiction, uses her notebook when something catches her eye or a thought to be written out in more detail later occurs to her.

I understand criticisms of over-reliance on smartphones but I don't understand the general venom which some people seem to have for them.

One all around app? Yes.

I have a list of apps of interest to LF shooters with an iPhone. One that has all covered does`t exist. Universal viewfinder, level and goniometer, tilt calculator, exposure-meter, reciprocity calculator, filter integrator, photographer's notebook. Would I pay for one, even if I've paid for some of them? YES.

Lachlan 717

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Boley View Post
    I just tried Hueless and it seems pretty limited, and has some problems.
    What problems/limitations have you come across?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Q

What problems/limitations have you come across?
    I'd been using dramatic black and white up until this, it's ok...
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dram...457075492?mt=8

Hueless seems buggy, I can't load an image from the camera roll to convert to B&W using the app, won't load.. nor does it successfully load an image shot with it. All it seems to do is let you use it's tools while previewing through the camera, and then shoot. At any rate, neither of these does all the things the OP is proposing

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cunningham View Post
    This app exists, and for every camera/lens combination http://www.artistsviewfinder.com/ There is a stripped version too in the App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    The lens is somewhat limited in terms of the wide end. You can get a WA lens that overcomes this, but it's just another hassle in the field.
    The iPhone itself is enough for a 55º horizontal lens and down. You can use it with a WA converter when you need more (up to 100º). It's cumbersome, I agree, but sometimes less than any of the alternatives (my Linhof viewfinder goes only up to 62º)