Thread: Spot Metering Help

Spot Metering Help

I'm a novice when it comes to spot metering, or metering at all in general. On my DSLR I was able to get the correct exposure on the spot metering setting, at ISO 400, f/5.6, and a 3 second shutter speed in the picture below of the soap bottle. On my Leica camera I have ISO 400 film, and applied the same settings to it that I received on my DSLR and received the wrong exposure. I'm not sure if I'm doing anything wrong, but I would assume that after getting the correct exposure on the DSLR that the Leica's exposure reading should read correct instead of reading "underexposure, by at least one f/stop, turn clockwise" can anyone correct me on the problemClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0053.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	132332

Re: Spot Metering Help

I think you need more than help with metering. You really need to read a book on metering and/or the zone system and read it. Oh, and use a tripod for a 3 sec exposure. L

Firstly, meters tend to differ a bit between cameras, although in general, I usually use my EOS to figure out the exposure for my 4x5's and it seems to work well enough.
    Secondly, the size of the metering spot can differ between cameras as well, so you may be metering a different area in both cases. Does your analog Leica have a spot meter? I don't have any experience with Leicas, so I don't know, but I always had the impression that they didn't. That would easily explain the difference in metering.
    Thirdly, when comparing film and digital, don't forget you're also throwing development into the equation, so even when metering and exposing identically between a digital and a film camera, the results can be different.
    Finally, I don't really get the example picture you posted; where's this soap bottle you speak of?

looks like you need a real deal spot meeter,,learn the zone system and practice and study...

i just spot for Zone V. As long as I am consistent at it then all my negs come out fine. I screw up only when I over think it. That said I only shoot in certain conditions where Zone V fits my needs. I guess just shoot a lot and you will find your way.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonG View Post
    looks like you need a real deal spot meeter,,learn the zone system and practice and study...
    Fred Picker's the Zone VI Workshop would be a good start and it's cheap used.

Andy Eads
    Pasco, Washington - the dry side of the state

You may find my book on exposure and development control useful. It is free for your use. It is here on this site: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...cles/VIDEC.pdf