View Poll Results: Would you like to see a separate Cameras and Accessories section for ULF (11x14 and l

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

53 63.10%
  • No

27 32.14%
  • ULF-capable lenses should also have a separate Lenses & Accessories sub-forum

26 30.95%
  • Leave discussions of ULF-capable lenses in the current sub-forum

21 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you like to see separate ULF Cameras & Accessories (11x14 and l

Do or do not. There is no try.

Re: Would you like to see a separate Cameras and Accessories section for ULF (11x14 a

Stone, I do indeed see the value IF (and that's a big if) all prior ULF-related posts could somehow magically be transported to the new sub-forum where they would presumably be found more easily. But that's not going to happen, so the new sub-forum would very largely end up rehashing all that's gone before that already exists in the archives. I certainly appreciate the value of this forum and have learned tremendously from reading many current and past posts. There's already a huge amount of ULF information here if only one is willing to do a bit of searching.

Given the level of commitment required for ULF work (which is why I ultimately decided against pursuing my 7x17 dream, you can search for my "Getting out of 7x17" FS posts) the willingness to put in a little initial effort would be a useful pre-screening exercise.

Maybe what we really need is a short "permanent" article explaining how to use Google search with the forum!

Re: Would you like to see a separate Cameras and Accessories section for ULF (11x14 a

Just like the SF image section, I imagine older ULF-specific threads would be moved as they are found (for instance, bumped up with a new question or additional information).

Searching the archives (here or via Google) will still find relevant threads, regardless of subforum.

Perhaps pertaining to some other posts here, maybe a "Beginners" forum would be helpful.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

It is nice to have ULF related items and issues in a place that is easy to find. If it does not cause the moderators a lot of work then I'm okay with it and if not leave it alone. Lets face it, if you are into ULF you are going to find out what you need to know. It is called working for it! Research and reading.

People new to ULF need to work for it as I say. It is much more rewarding finding information on your own or communicating with forum members who are into ULF. You know who we are!

What will be next a sub forum on alternative printing methods for ULF images? It could get ugly!

Zebra

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    It is nice to have ULF related items and issues in a place that is easy to find. If it does not cause the moderators a lot of work then I'm okay with it and if not leave it alone. Lets face it, if you are into ULF you are going to find out what you need to know. It is called working for it! Research and reading.

People new to ULF need to work for it as I say. It is much more rewarding finding information on your own or communicating with forum members who are into ULF. You know who we are!

What will be next a sub forum on alternative printing methods for ULF images? It could get ugly!

Jim I know you are kidding but i love the idea of within the sub forum there being threads on ULF portraiture, Landscape, camera building etc so that the trials of those endeavors can be shared, and viewed. I love working in ULF and even though I don't quite feel the superiority that PaulR teased us about I do enjoy it greatly and am always quick to point out the aspects of it that have made it rewarding FOR ME.

I'm looking forward to the sub forum and all the thought it might generate about ULF

Monty

Since I don't shoot ULF I didn't vote but IMO I don't think it's a good idea for reasons others already mentioned. IMO: Firstly, I don't think a ULF subforum has any significant benefit for anyone except, perhaps, 'bragging rights'. Secondly, there's no way to move all the existing ULF threads so those threads will be unnecessarily scattered. Thirdly, because of the first two reasons cited I think it will only cause confusion.

If a ULF subforum is added then I think 'greater than 80 square inches and/or any side longer than 10 inches' is a better descriptive because this will include 5x12 and 7x11 panoramic formats which are both less less than 80 square inches.

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Since I don't shoot ULF I didn't vote but IMO I don't think it's a good idea for reasons others already mentioned. IMO: Firstly, I don't think a ULF subforum has any significant benefit for anyone except, perhaps, 'bragging rights'. Secondly, there's no way to move all the existing ULF threads so those threads will be unnecessarily scattered. Thirdly, because of the first two reasons cited I think it will only cause confusion.

If a ULF subforum is added then I think 'greater than 80 square inches and/or any side longer than 10 inches' is a better descriptive because this will include 5x12 and 7x11 panoramic formats which are both less less than 80 square inches.
    I sometimes use more than 80 square inches of a film in one negative, but I have to admit that I do agree with everything else in the statement above.
    The less places there are to put things, the easier they are to find...

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post

I agree on the importance of including the 5X12 and 7X11 formats. I have always thought of these formats as ULF, even though the total area is less than 80 square inches.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    The less places there are to put things, the easier they are to find...
    Ergo, if we had no sub-fora, it would be easier to find a for sale listing in with a small format image listing in amongst Feb 13's portraits? I can't agree with your statement. There is obviously a balance somewhere between no sub-fora and many; whether a ULF pushes it into the latter is still the crux of this thread.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

I can think of a lot of sub-forums we could get rid of in order to make room for the much more relevant ULF sub-forums.

joseph

I really don't think it matters how many sub-fora there are, beyond a certain point. You wouldn't be the first person here recently who put up a straw man against me; I really can't see what the attraction must be for you.

I get it. You want a forum, which is fine. It would be good if you could make a rational argument for it, rather than make a fallacious one against mine.

btw, I don’t know how you find anything; I can usually find whatever I want in only one section- google.

Karl, that's a far more rational argument in support of a ULF forum, but I don't think Lachlan will agree with you...