Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ULF 7X17 What size Dark Cloth? What type? I'm new to daylight...

Re: ULF 7X17 What size Dark Cloth? What type? I'm new to daylight...

The Korona is not the sturdiest of cameras,so heavy clothe or one with elastic will upset your focusing. Also weights on corners can be hazardous in winds. My wife made me a 4X4 with two layers (white and black) of lightweight material. I use small clamps at corners in lieu of Velcro.
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I'm not sure whether you realise it or not, but, with these bigger formats, you need to have your eyes further back when you look at the GG in its entirety. You'll need to take this in to account when considering the size of the dark cloth. It can become a pain when you then go to the loupe as the fabric can drape in front of your eyes.
    This is a good point. I have a number of BTZS hoods that work well for me. One [rather large one] works well for 12x20. It's much lighter and more compact when folded than most conventional d-cloths would be. (I've not tried the Harrison, but have wanted to. Too many other things to pay for right now!) The BTZS hood, or similar, with its elasticized skirt makes it easier to block out light around the perimeter of the ground glass which is nice when using small apertures or wide lenses when seeing the outer regions of the image is much more difficult. And there's plenty of room for me to move my head back to a good viewing distance without the whole thing sliding off the camera in a heap.

For focusing I follow Fred Picker's old suggestion of using a pair of drugstore reading glasses which provide much more eye relief and allows me to see the image in context. There's a lot to see on a big GG! That's part of the fun of it... A loupe is good when you're finally ready to commit the image to a big expensive piece of film.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have something like that for 8x10, it's silver and came with the camera, but will not work on this 7x17, I feel if I use something like that I will knock the rig over.
    With experience you will develop a kinesthetic sense which will give you better confidence while dancing with your partner. As with anything, practice...
    I do still manage to tangle my size 12's with the tripod legs at times, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    I'm not sure whether you realise it or not, but, with these bigger formats, you need to have your eyes further back when you look at the GG in its entirety. You'll need to take this in to account when considering the size of the dark cloth. It can become a pain when you then go to the loupe as the fabric can drape in front of your eyes.
    This is the reason my 5x8 foot cloth works so well. White on the outside and black satin like material on the inside so my head can slide around as necessary to view the corners. Heavy enough to prevent being blown around unless the wind is very strong. Sadly the custom maker had to move and go out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Howk View Post
    The Korona is not the sturdiest of cameras,so heavy clothe or one with elastic will upset your focusing. Also weights on corners can be hazardous in winds. My wife made me a 4X4 with two layers (white and black) of lightweight material. I use small clamps at corners in lieu of Velcro.
    My 5x8 foot cloth has never "Upset" my focusing and it blocks all the light. I always keep it on the camera while making exposures and have had no problem. I found my 4x5 foot cloth totally inadequate for the 7x17.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    My 5x8 foot cloth has never "Upset" my focusing and it blocks all the light. I always keep it on the camera while making exposures and have had no problem. I found my 4x5 foot cloth totally inadequate for the 7x17.
    Just before Jim, posted his respected opinion, I had come to the conclusion I was thinking too small, as I found this LFPF thread with these recommendations about Paula Chamlee dark cloths.

I also find Jim's recommendations particularly useful as he sold me this camera and he continues to use a 7x17 Korona. So I will try a large Harrison first. It will be good to have waterproof with me, and it can be folded to act as camera cushion in my cart. Jim has also advised me to keep the dark cloth in place all the time and use it as light shield for film holders and entire camera. Bigger seems better.

I have been setting up and taking down the 7x17 in studio and trying all kinds of things before hitting the street.

Discarded 2 Manfrotto tripods as unsuitable, and will use a Majestic, it has definitely more securely clamped legs. I bumped the folding lever locks on a Bogan 3033 and it nearly dropped the camera. NG Watch for it on CL, it's fine, but I will never trust it again.

Since this Korona came with the OE bed stiffeners and a necessary rear extension, good for balancing the weight fore and aft, at 10 lbs all up, it is sturdy enough, with a solid tripod and a weighted darkcloth will add a pound. A 12" lens does not extend the bellows fully and will lessen longer bellows effects.

News later in the 7x17 holder thead.
    Tin Can

Lachlan 717

Be very careful with removing and replacing the dark slides. Clamping the back with your hand as you remove it is critical. It is far too easy to lift the holder slightly and introduce a light leak!!

I use a big BTZS hood on mine. Quite heavy, but does a cracking job. I drape it over the rear when ready to shoot. Due to the heavier gauge material needed for the big dark slide means a wider orifice, meaning light ingresses through it easier than, say, 4x5" holders. The dark cloth blocks this.

Can I also recommend a Majestic 6x7" head? Yep, it's big and heavy. But the big plate is unparalleled in providing a stable platform for the camera. They're cheap, too!
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Thanks Lachlan,

I am getting the biggest Harrison for the purpose of covering all, even when changing DS and yes, I will push the holder firmly. I feel Korona has a superior spring back system and it holds very tightly. But a helping hand is always best, I'm sure. I have seen online the light leaks 7x17 is capable of.

Jim Noel, recommends I black out the holder flaps, and I will also do that, maybe more.

My single leg Majestic tripod is plenty for this purpose, I also have a double leg, that's way overkill. This is the older Grey/blue model with a matching 6X7" head. It carries a C1 easily. I like Majestic heads, I have 4 of them. I also bought NOS last of stock Majestic camera screws 2 years ago. The factory is local to me.

My first shots will be from the flat roof 2 stories up.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I feel Korona has a superior spring back system and it holds very tightly. But a helping hand is always best, I'm sure.
    Whew! Not the ones I've seen!

Maybe you could post a picture of the back of yours, Randy. My curiosity is piqued.

Randy, you don't know it yet but you're on a steep learning curve.

+1 on the Majestic. That's the ticket.

Darkcloth: I agree you need to be further from the GG for composition. My choice is the Blackjacket.
    http://quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/B...OME_FRAME_.htm

Light leaks can be a problem with ULF. Even a slight warpage of the GG frame or camera back can cause a light leak. The only way to prevent this reliably is to leave the darkcloth over the entire back. The Blackjacket has an elastic border that goes all around the back. You leave it in position the entire time. There is a seperate opening for you to insert the filmholder and remove the darkslide. Way more complicated than the simple darkcloth but it IS effective. Film costs are high and having to reshoot is not fun and sometimes is not possible. This is insurance. It's a good product. I have no financial interest in the company, I'm just very satisfied.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    Randy, you don't know it yet but you're on a steep learning curve.

+1 on the Majestic. That's the ticket.

Darkcloth: I agree you need to be further from the GG for composition. My choice is the Blackjacket.
    http://quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/B...OME_FRAME_.htm

Light leaks can be a problem with ULF. Even a slight warpage of the GG frame or camera back can cause a light leak. The only way to prevent this reliably is to leave the darkcloth over the entire back. The Blackjacket has an elastic border that goes all around the back. You leave it in position the entire time. There is a seperate opening for you to insert the filmholder and remove the darkslide. Way more complicated than the simple darkcloth but it IS effective. Film costs are high and having to reshoot is not fun and sometimes is not possible. This is insurance. It's a good product. I have no financial interest in the company, I'm just very satisfied.

John
    You mean this. I got one with a camera. It's on a linhof 8x10 here, won't fit the 7x17, nor will allow inserting darkslides. The Linhof can handle all the elastic, can the Korona?

This thing might be a knockoff as it has no Black Jacket tags, no tags at all. It is black inside.

I wish the website showed ULF applications.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1829.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	165.8 KB 
ID:	132167
    Tin Can