Thread: Surge marks

Surge marks

What are they and what causes them? How can I avoid them?

I thought I understood but I have read, on here, two different explanations. One is that it is from not enough agitation using wire racks, and the other is too fast agitation using wire racks.

Re: Surge marks

If this is an issue you are running into, then a picture will say more than a thousand words. Otherwise this will be a rather hypothetical discussions and I predict that a multitude of unrelated causes and solutions will be offered. Among them are likely to be: insufficient agitation during development or fixing, depleted chemicals during development or fixing, light leaks, contaminated chemicals, insufficient fluids to cover the negatives (either during development or fixing) and perhaps a few more I forgot about. Correctly mixed, fresh chemicals and proper agitation during the process should prevent all surge marks.

One type of surge mark is streaks coming in from the margins that correspond with the holes around the perimeter of the film hanger. Too aggressive agitation can cause jets that overdevelop in those areas. This is more of a problem with short development times in hyperactive developers, and working at a cooler temperature with longer times and less aggressive agitation, or a less active developer, can help.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I am not experiencing them. I just got my hangers and tanks and would like to avoid geting them. I can't find an explanation about how to use them on the net. So, I am looking for advice.

Bill Kostelec

I lift three times, all at once, straight up and down, then tip to the left to drain, repeat and tip to the right and drain, then drop the hangers and let them rest. I do this at the top of every minute. It takes between ten and fifteen seconds. I have been doing this for 20+ years without ever getting surge marks.

Find the appropriate Kodak publication for the correct procesing instructions; IIRC you want "Photography with Large-Format Cameras". My Kodak books are in deep storage so I can't be precise; someone else may have them handy.

I've been looking for a publication. You would think it would be on the net somewhere.

Bill, what developer are you using?

Bill Kostelec

With 4X5 I typically use D-23 which is very easy to make. I also use HC110 dilution B and rarely Pyro PMK in the tank. None have given me surge marks and I'd bet the pyro would be the most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    Find the appropriate Kodak publication for the correct procesing instructions; IIRC you want "Photography with Large-Format Cameras". My Kodak books are in deep storage so I can't be precise; someone else may have them handy.
    I have that publication on my hand, it is worthwhile to have, but contains no film processing info. This is '0-18' 1977, in the back it lists Kodak Publication No. 'R-20' Kodak Darkroom Dataguide, which I do not have.
    Tin Can

With film hangers, gentle is the operative word when agitating.