Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need a lesson in NYC from a professional who knows Wet Plate photography with flash

Need a lesson in NYC from a professional who knows Wet Plate photography with flash

Hi,

I'm a professional photographer and I've been using a medium format with film then a digital Hasselblad camera for the past 15 years.

I would like to start shooting on Wet Plates. I just purchased an 8x10 Ansco View Camera that I'm trying to use with my flash lights.
    My first trial did not produce anything on the plate :-( so I am looking for someone who could come to my place for a training session to see what I am doing wrong.

If you are in New York City or know someone there that could help please reach out.

Raya

Re: Need a lesson in NYC from a professional who knows Wet Plate photography with fla

hello Raya

check out The Penumbra Foundation

http://www.penumbrafoundation.org/

one of their 'main guys' is Geoffrey Berliner who is also a member on here

regards
    andrew

multiplex

Re: Need a lesson in NYC from a professional who knows Wet Plate photography with fla

Quote Originally Posted by YHP View Post
    Hi,

I'm a professional photographer and I've been using a medium format with film then a digital Hasselblad camera for the past 15 years.

I would like to start shooting on Wet Plates. I just purchased an 8x10 Ansco View Camera that I'm trying to use with my flash lights.
    My first trial did not produce anything on the plate :-( so I am looking for someone who could come to my place for a training session to see what I am doing wrong.

If you are in New York City or know someone there that could help please reach out.

Raya
    hi raya

you need to replace your regular bulbs with bright UV bulbs
    wet plate isn't panchromatic, and requires different light than the modern
    stuff ( film and paper ).

good luck !
    john

Thanks Andrew!

Hi John,
    Thanks for taking the time to reply
    So if I'm shooting with these Bowens, http://www.bowensdirect.com/index.ph...ni-500pro.html it won't work with the tintypes? I was wondering if the measure would be different and I needed to set up a stronger light, but did not expect it not to work at all.
    Raya

Raya,

FWIW, I get a 1-pop exposure at f/8 at about 2m using a Speedotron 9600ws quadlight full tilt. Wetplate is slow.

Make sure you aren't using lenses that have UV filters on them or some coating that might block UV. If you are using a flash meter, try ISO 1 to 0.5.

Joe

Thanks Joe!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Raya,

FWIW, I get a 1-pop exposure at f/8 at about 2m using a Speedotron 9600ws quadlight full tilt. Wetplate is slow.

Make sure you aren't using lenses that have UV filters on them or some coating that might block UV. If you are using a flash meter, try ISO 1 to 0.5.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by YHP View Post
    Thanks Andrew!
    thx, grateful, good luck too

best
    andrew

It is all about the UV. Most studio lights are designed not to put off a lot of UV. You will need fluorescent continuous lighting to minimize exposure times. Otherwise you will run the risk of baking your subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Smigiel View Post
    Raya,

Joe
    That's a big flash Joe!

Last week I had a portrait sitter that has a brain aneurysm, in a very bad place. She told me her doctor warned her to avoid Flash and Lightning as they could be fatal.

We did use 640 ws in a big softbox at her insistence, but only 2 pops and she took a chill pill before the session. She's a good sport and wanted to join her husband in the images. God Bless her and safe passage.
    Tin Can