Thread: Need Help with Linhof Kardan-Master Rail Base

Smile Need Help with Linhof Kardan-Master Rail Base

Just received a new to me Kardan-Master

I could use a little help from a Linhof user -

It came with a Linhof base clamp that I am having a problem with. I do not want to force anything, but have yet to figure out how to slide the base unit on the rail. It looks to me like the lever I have marked "B" should move to release the rail, but it seems to be locked. The silver square tab I marked "A" - is it the lock? "A" moves, but it seems to have no effect on the "B" lever. There is a round silver button on the bottom of the "B" lever, it does not seem to move, is it a lock? Should it move?

When it is unlocked, can you just slide the clamp off the rail?

There is a black lever lock on the other end that seems to be working, when it is released the rail can be tilted so it can be leveled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kardan1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	131811

Re: Need Help with Linhof Kardan-Master Rail Base

Yes, it should unlock so you can slide the rail along it. So you may need Precision to look at what is wrong.

Thanks, I was able to remove the "grub screws" and with a light application of oil, the clamp could be removed from the rail. I now have a clamp that seems to have a jammed lever. Probably won't use it, as I planned on mounting the rail directly to a geared head that I have.

Just to post a follow up for anyone else who has a question on the operation of this clamp. It was not jammed at all, the lever marked "B" in the photo has to be pulled back away from the clamp's body, that releases it ( it has a small pin that fits into a hole). Once released it moved very smoothly to the unlocked position, as you would expect a piece of Linhof gear to. Wish I had figured that out before using oil and some muscle power to slide the clamp off the rail

Hi, Bob - This story has reminded me of a time when I visited my mother in New Jersey, in her nineties, and found that she was still using a toaster from the 30's that had a frayed power cord. I bought her a new one with "higher" tech built-in. A few years after I arrived once more for her funeral (age 97.5) and noticed the new toaster in the garage on a rack. My sister had been living with mom the whole time as a helper. I asked my sister why it wasn't being used; she said they couldn't figure out how the get the toast out when it "popped" because it was so far down inside its slots. I brought the toaster inside, put in some bread slices, and when it popped ... told her to watch carefully, as I lifted the same handle used to push the bread down and lo and behold the slices rose up and were accessible to grasp. "Ohhhhhhh, that's nice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Just to post a follow up for anyone else who has a question on the operation of this clamp. It was not jammed at all, the lever marked "B" in the photo has to be pulled back away from the clamp's body, that releases it ( it has a small pin that fits into a hole). Once released it moved very smoothly to the unlocked position, as you would expect a piece of Linhof gear to. Wish I had figured that out before using oil and some muscle power to slide the clamp off the rail
    Thanks for sharing, some things are not as obvious as a toaster...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Thanks for sharing, some things are not as obvious as a toaster...
    If my story came across as belittling Bob's technical prowess, then I owe an apology, as I know for sure he's not lacking in that department. I should have expounded a little more to make my real point, which was that my sister had a NEW toaster that came with instructions which, if she'd bothered to READ them, would have known about that feature. In Bob's situation, he obviously does not have the benefit of an owner's manual.

Hey, no offense taken - life is full of ups, downs and always something to laugh about afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bodine View Post
    If my story came across as belittling Bob's technical prowess, then I owe an apology, as I know for sure he's not lacking in that department. I should have expounded a little more to make my real point, which was that my sister had a NEW toaster that came with instructions which, if she'd bothered to READ them, would have known about that feature. In Bob's situation, he obviously does not have the benefit of an owner's manual.
    Sorry, I understood some people don't have or read instructions. No slight to you, your sister, or bob intended.

Your sister may have actually prefered the original toaster.

I prefer anything including toast made on a stick over a campfire. Or even a can of beans nestled in the coals.

Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    Hey, no offense taken - life is full of ups, downs and always something to laugh about afterwards
    Good! I feel better now.