Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: ULF Why do it?

Re: ULF Why do it?

Friends think I'm nuts with the 8x20 (actually the 8x10 as well). Well, there's always someone crazier than me, 8x20 is considered small ULF.

I can do 4x10 and enlarge to 8x20. Hard to believe, but the 4x10 enlarged looks different than the 8x20.

Contact printing.

Did I mention how cool contact prints are, whether silver or alt-process?

Also, it's fun.

There are plenty of lenses, classic and modern, that will cover 11x14/7x17. Even some really small ones. The pack starts to thin out beyond that, but there's still plenty enough for formats up to 20x24 and even beyond to be workable.

It's rare for me to be able to add something of value to a thread. Ready?

It's for the contact prints....

When I was using 4x5, I made 1:1 enlargements and a contact print to understand the difference, keeping as much as possible constant. The first thing is that I could not get the two prints to match completely. There is something about eliminating the second optical path that makes a noticeable difference. Its not sharpness per se (an enlargement from a really good lens would be sharper than a contact print from a less sharp lens) but some combination of sharpness, tonality (especially in the highlights - the Callier effect maybe) and other factors. I decided I liked the contact prints more - I could make decent enlargements and there was nothing wrong with them but there was something about the contact print. The best way I have found to express this is that there is a very pleasing overall contrast to local contrast look and feel.

Since I committed to contact printing, I had to deal with the issues around using large cameras. I use primarily 8x20 and 8x20 which give me one format which is very square and another than is very elongated. Right now, that allows me to explore the visual concerns that I am interested in...

Cheers, DJ

Why does anybody do anything? There are perfectly good pictures in books.

Eat, sleep, urinate, defecate, fornicate.

There is more to life than that.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Does anybody do WPC indoors? I'm fearful to attempt it inside, chemicals. Then there's the amount of light needed.
    yes, illumiquest ( on apug ) does it indoors, outdoors &c, he even does stop motion WPC ...

Really? Given The challenges of life, why get out of bed in the morning?

It makes you think, as in "it costs me $25 (or more) to point that thing and take one photo!" There's something to be said for having a camera that's a challenge to fit into a compact car. But then later, your first negative will be the darn most awesome thing you ever saw.

Yes, ULF is insanity, then doing it again, and again, and expecting another wonderful result.

The big ground glass provides more room for additional participants...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4393.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	131745

With all due respect, it's all been said, simply put, a large, well made contact print is intoxicating !!

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Because I still can.