Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: ULF Why do it?

Re: ULF Why do it?

Quote Originally Posted by TML74 View Post
    because we are crazy...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwI5By945R0
    Thierry M.L.
    Nice video. One of those guys could have been me, on another day and on a different continent.

Yes, we are crazy. But perhaps as in the song by Waylon Jennings, "I have always been crazy, but it has kept me from going insane."

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by jbenedict View Post
    Why does anybody do anything? There are perfectly good pictures in books.

Eat, sleep, urinate, defecate, fornicate.

There is more to life than that.
    Ain't that the truth! Well said.

I had myself about convinced that 8x10 was way more than enough and that 6.5x8.5 was actually "Goldilocks" perfect and then I was recently given the bellows and lens out of a graphic arts copy camera. I need to re-measure but I think that gives me the "hard parts to make" for a 24x20 (other than film holders---with a little more time I might've made off with the vacuum back for it, but that's not exactly for field use anyway. So, I might be joining y'all in the crazy world of ULF eventually.

Good!

no time like now
    Tin Can

Thanks Tin Can, but right now I don't have a darkroom or even printing paper that large, and so on. Still, it it was hard to pass up the key parts to build a monster camera. I'm not making any prediction as to when it will get done.

Have you been following 'Pound' a member here, he has come up with ULF solutions in a Bedsit

Paper negs and more with no Darkroom, no fancy shutter, no film holder, etc
    Tin Can

Tin Can, are you referring to the guy who made a sliding box camera with a packet of film inside and 2 pants legs together access to the inside? That's pretty clever! He posted a 3rd video with a trap door shutter for a selfie! I've made Waterhouse stops for a lens several times, built a few cameras and restored a couple too. I'll get to it eventually. And, perhaps as the kids finish growing up and moving out I'll get to take over the second bathroom for a darkroom more regularly. I could also imagine making something like a Jobodrum for daylight development if I can't find one to buy. It is do-able, but there's also a lot going on and being in the dark by yourself isn't always the best parenting. God willing, I'll be able to wait this out.

Yes, Pound, a member here, his videos are interesting

No idea how old your children are, but I loved my plywood box darkroom in our basement, 1958, age 7, where I taught myself to shoot and develop Minox film. A neighbor gave me the camera. As I recall it was 4 sheets of 4X6' walls and 2X4' cutoffs were on top. Father made it, but thought an enlarger was frivolous and forbid me a tiny enlarger, even if my own money was used. I hustled the other kids. Minox is useless without an enlarger...Then we moved...

But I have always loved tiny forts, caves and darkness. My Chicago condo I blacked out the entire 650 sg ft which was easy as only one side had windows, with no view anyway.

Now in a 1920 house, with only the kitchen windows useful, one bedroom is wet Darkroom and the living room has no furniture as it's a portrait studio.

and as i have written many times here, I collected enlargers for 7 years after forced retirement.

Kids do learn, despite obstacles

what's that old song, 'teach your children well'...
    Tin Can

My kids are older now, the last one will graduate from H.S. this Spring, God willing. I have fond memories of a large appliance box when I was 5, making it into an imaginary submarine and airplane and rocket ship. I look forward to getting going again on darkroom work, I first started in the darkroom around age 8-10 and again around 11-12 then a long hiatus! I've tried to bring the kids in on the work in the past, but none of them loved it or took to it the way I did. Maybe I'll be blessed with grandkids or parishioner kids who'll take up some of the art and photo stuff I love so much. At least my wife was able to make singers and piano players out of them all. I always thought there was something magical about watching prints develop, for instance. And, I like physical as opposed to digital work, though for some things, it is easier to do them with a computer. I think I've written here before about finding and reprinting some paper negatives at age almost 50 that I made with a pinhole camera when I was 8 or 10. I have plenty of digital things I can't access any more. I have some enlargers but I like the cyanotype prints and want to learn some other UV contact printing processes eventually (carbon, Pt/Pd, photogravure). that said, it pains me sometimes to have info on a negative that I can't see w/o a loupe, and there are times when I'd like a film record w/o carrying around a LF or ULF camera, so I'm not giving up the enlargers just yet. And, I know where there's a 4x5 I could have for asking. The bellows for the graphic arts camera sitting across the room from me will easily handle 20x24 films and will extend out at least 4 feet so a lot of different kinds of work from close ups to normal still lifes, to portraits, to landscapes become possible with the 18-19" process lenses or the meniscus lenses I have. I do think I may have to make my own film/plates to use the the thing when I get it built. If I get so crazy as to make a ULF TLR I'm definitely going to have to make film and backing "paper" to use it! So, back to why ULF? Technical challenge, full size or near full size portraits, contact prints from physical negatives, preserving some equipment and techniques for the next generation.