Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisner, Zone VI. Or Shen Hao? Field camera help?!

Wisner, Zone VI. Or Shen Hao? Field camera help?!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a field camera. Initially I really was looking at the older Zone VI cameras, but have since discovered the Wisner Technical. I also have an opportunity to purchase a Shen Hao HZX IIA. I know these are all quite different, but what would be the best option assuming they're all available at the same price for some one with LF experience?
    ~Adi N

Re: Wisner, Zone VI. Or Shen Hao? Field camera help?!

You don't mention film size: 4x5 ?

Consider size, weight and features.

Which features do you need most ? For example, bellows draw: the 4x5 Wisner Technical Field has wonderful long bellows draw, enough to use a 450mm lens at infinity or a 210mm lens at 1:1. If you never plan to do that, you don't need that feature... etc.

Size and weight matter if you plan to travel, hike or trek. If not, why get a field camera in the first place ?

Front rise/fall: which has the most ? Do you care ? It depends on what you shoot.

Ability to shoot short lenses: do you need interchangeable bellows so that you can use a bag bellows ? Do they all provide bag bellows ? Do you care ? Do you ever shoot with very short lenses ? If not, forgetaboutit... etc.

We choose the camera based on intended use, not the other way around

Richard Ritter seems to make a pretty nice living off of repairing Wisners. He makes less of a nice living repairing Zone VIs. The bellows draw will be basically the same, as are most of the specs. I think Richard also has Zone VI bag bellows in stock for immediate gratification.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

You should also look at Wista wooden field camera. I think the Vermont Zone VI is the best built of them all. If you can find one in good condition I would go for it. If you will be hiking far distances and the bellows is not an issue, I would say the Wista.
    Joseph Kayne
    Joseph Kayne Photography
    Fine Large Format Photography
    www.josephkaynephoto.com

I can only speak of my satisfaction with the Zone VI which is ongoing after more than twenty years of both heavy duty professional architectural work as well as quite a lot of field work for personal landscape shooting. I did have one modification done to add bubble levels to the left side and on the one open position the back. That was to make it possible o work the levels when the back was flipped to be open on the left side in cases where I had the camera up against a door frame on the right hand side and when shooting outside with the sun coming into the right hand side of the camera and desiring to flip the back to avoid any possible leaks. I would have done that with any of these cameras that did not already feature levels in those spots.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Used? The physical condition should be #1. A loosey goosey or leaky bellows ain't gonna do anyone any good unless you want a restoration project,
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

We choose the camera based on intended use, not the other way around
    This quote needs to be a sticky on here and APUG and probably every other photography forum!

With my dissertation about Zone VI and Wisner, I will heartily agree with the Wista recommendation. It is my go-to 4x5.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com

From looking at the cameras further, its looking like the Wisner Technical and Zone VI are the best candidates for the work I wanted to do. I was looking at the Shen Hao because it seemed like the most versatile, but I really do not think I'll be needing the back extensive movements. I should mention that I am looking at the Wisner and the actual Zone VI produced cameras. I was straying away from the Wista and Tachihara versions due to the glued bellows.

I guess my question is, if I were to choose between a Wisner Technical and the Zone VI (manufactured by either Wisner or themselves), which would be a smarter option? I am just going to look at a Wisner Tech at Adorama later this afternoon, while I'd have to find a Zone VI probably on here on the forums.
    ~Adi N

loujon

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Sith View Post
    From looking at the cameras further, its looking like the Wisner Technical and Zone VI are the best candidates for the work I wanted to do. I was looking at the Shen Hao because it seemed like the most versatile, but I really do not think I'll be needing the back extensive movements. I should mention that I am looking at the Wisner and the actual Zone VI produced cameras. I was straying away from the Wista and Tachihara versions due to the glued bellows.

I guess my question is, if I were to choose between a Wisner Technical and the Zone VI (manufactured by either Wisner or themselves), which would be a smarter option? I am just going to look at a Wisner Tech at Adorama later this afternoon, while I'd have to find a Zone VI probably on here on the forums.
    I have a Wisner 8x10 Tech and LOVE it for what I use it for. It's not my lightest 8x10 camera for sure but it's stability (for a folding camera), extra generous movements and very long bellows (for a folding camera) makes her a winner (for not to far from car and table top close up stuff) in my eyes. Not to mention it has that old world beauty & not the high tech gizmos of this day and age. I must admit that I own a few cameras that use the modern building materials as well.

A friend of mine has a Zone VI 4x5 which he seems to enjoy using and it's not his only camera to chose from.