Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodak 405 Portrait user focus tips wanted

Kodak 405 Portrait user focus tips wanted

Tomorrow, I have my first serious attempt at shooting people portraits with Kodak 405.

I have shot it some, I HAVE read everything I can find about it, both Kodak's tip and internet users.

Any actual users have any good advice for tomorrow?

Studio setting, Packard shutter with synced strobes, 8x10 chest up and close.

10 sheets are going to get done with 3 sitters in 2 sessions.
    Tin Can

Re: Kodak 405 Portrait user focus tips wanted

Randy, you need to really stop that lens down or your focus will come out soft.

When all else fails, read the instructions?
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_1.html
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Use movements to get both eyes in the same plane. Roll it forward until a contrast line definitely goes out of focus. Then roll it back in slowly watching your line get sharp. Sharpest focus is not least fogginess. Don't be fooled by best compromise foggy to sharpness. They are very sharp and soft at the same time. Practice on something in-animate first. A sharp contrast line. Watch it go in and out. People are harder. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Randy, you need to really stop that lens down or your focus will come out soft.
    I am laughing, isn't that the point?

Sure looks great wide open on GG with my plastic head! Plastica never looked so good.

Seriously that is part of the question, which aperture do people like? Which focus point, how much back focus, etc.

This is a test tomorrow and my sitters are patient fellow photographers, but they shoot 35mm and I would like to get something favorable to somebody...

Or do I just shoot every combination and burn $500 in film.

I'm here to hedge my bets.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    When all else fails, read the instructions?
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_1.html
    Michael I read that 10 times,
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Use movements to get both eyes in the same plane. Roll it forward until a contrast line definitely goes out of focus. Then roll it back in slowly watching your line get sharp. Sharpest focus is not least fogginess. Don't be fooled by best compromise foggy to sharpness. They are very sharp and soft at the same time. Practice on something in-animate first. A sharp contrast line. Watch it go in and out. People are harder. Good luck.
    Jim that's good advice and iI'm practising on a plastic and realistic head right nowand have been for some time. Now it's time for real people!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I am laughing, isn't that the point?

Sure looks great wide open on GG with my plastic head! Plastica never looked so good.

Seriously that is part of the question, which aperture do people like? Which focus point, how much back focus, etc.

This is a test tomorrow and my sitters are patient fellow photographers, but they shoot 35mm and I would like to get something favorable to somebody...

Or do I just shoot every combination and burn $500 in film.

I'm here to hedge my bets.
    Sorry but I just couldn't help myself.

I know what you are talking about. I picked up a 305mm Kodak Portrait lens on an old tailboard camera cheap. From what I have read there is a learning curve to get what you want and that means burning film. I haven't used mine yet. The shutter needs a CLA real bad. The lens will fit my Ilex #5 shutter for my 14" Commercial Ekter. I'm planning on trying it with that shutter to see if I like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Sorry but I just couldn't help myself.

I know what you are talking about. I picked up a 305mm Kodak Portrait lens on an old tailboard camera cheap. From what I have read there is a learning curve to get what you want and that means burning film. I haven't used mine yet. The shutter needs a CLA real bad. The lens will fit my Ilex #5 shutter for my 14" Commercial Ekter. I'm planning on trying it with that shutter to see if I like it or not.
    Yep the 305 and 14" Ektar can share a shutter. However my Packard's are now more reliable. They were also a learning curve.
    Tin Can

Bill Kostelec

Just used a 305 today. I really like f8 and it is a good stop to focus with. I followed the manual instructions with moving the focus to the nearest part of the subject. And it was true, nothing closer to the camera than that point was at all sharp. Using the camera movements would have been very helpful but we were just getting an old Century studio back into operation and so didn't have time to mess with that. I had just got a big Packard shutter working again. This is going to be a fun lens. Good luck Randy.