Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question about Linhof finder

question about Linhof finder

Hello,
    I just bought an used Linhof finder for my Linhof master Technika 4x5. When I selected the focal lenght on the finder and compared to the groundglass image, I noticed that the finder covers only 75-80% of the groundglass image. Same to the other focal lenghts of the lenses I have.
    Is this normal? Or maybe I have to unscrew the finder and recalibrate it, if possible?
    Thank you in advance for your replays,
    Matei Bejenaru

Re: question about Linhof finder

Quote Originally Posted by Bejenaru Matei View Post
    Hello,
    I just bought an used Linhof finder for my Linhof master Technika 4x5. When I selected the focal lenght on the finder and compared to the groundglass image, I noticed that the finder covers only 75-80% of the groundglass image. Same to the other focal lenghts of the lenses I have.
    Is this normal? Or maybe I have to unscrew the finder and recalibrate it, if possible?
    Thank you in advance for your replays,
    Matei Bejenaru
    Which finder is it, the earlier or later type? If the earlier, then which one, the one that goes to 75mm or 90mm? You will find nothing adjustable inside on the earlier. The scale at the bottom is all you need to look at. Find the actual coverage by comparing the ground glass as you change the focal length (ignoring detents, if any), and mark that focal length to the distance scale.

Regardless, 80% is still not so bad. The film holder cuts off some coverage anyway.

I cannot help with the new model because I've never used one.

Thank you very much for the answer!
    I have a new version, from the 80s-90s.
    Together with a watch repair person I will check the finder.
    Best!

Just twist it a lil bit...until it matches the GG..for whatever lens you are using...

I just checked out my "old style" Linhof finder at 180mm. Much to my surprise, it wasn't even close -- more like the 75% you found! It's a darn good thing that I never used it to compose, although I have occasionally carried it in my pocket to scout out compostions.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

The Linhof finders seems to be setup a little like rangefinder bright lines in terms of their coverage, I.e. they are fairly conservative. If you are using them for estimating compositions or scoping a scene then I found I needed to adjust a little, comparing actual view to ground glass image. So I find with my later model version, the 75mm setting is really giving the image I see on the ground glass with a 90mm lens. The 135mm setting corresponds to the actual view of a 150mm lens, and so on. I did a new set of labels for mine and taped them on, so now it's fairly accurate for composition purposes if I ignore the factory markings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426377505.595142.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	130822

At least with my Speed/Crown Graphics I can choose the viewfinder mask to actually agree with the ground glass image.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    The Linhof finders seems to be setup a little like rangefinder bright lines in terms of their coverage, I.e. they are fairly conservative. If you are using them for estimating compositions or scoping a scene then I found I needed to adjust a little, comparing actual view to ground glass image. So I find with my later model version, the 75mm setting is really giving the image I see on the ground glass with a 90mm lens. The 135mm setting corresponds to the actual view of a 150mm lens, and so on. I did a new set of labels for mine and taped them on, so now it's fairly accurate for composition purposes if I ignore the factory markings.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426377505.595142.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	130822
    Which mask is on the front of your finder? The 4x5 or the 9x12? It is marked on the back side of the mask.

Bob it's the 5x4" mask. I only have that one and a 56x72mm mask which is obviously a lot smaller frame, which I never use as I don't shoot 6x7.

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    Bob it's the 5x4" mask. I only have that one and a 56x72mm mask which is obviously a lot smaller frame, which I never use as I don't shoot 6x7.
    Then you can either have a machinist enlarge the opening in the mask or you can adjust the zoom to compensate. However, the Multifocus Optical Finder was designed for hand held use and using it that way you would normally prefer to have a bit of cropping in the finder as precise framing is rather difficult when hand holding a 45 Technika.