Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vertical correction with 6x17

Vertical correction with 6x17

I discovered a problem when out shooting with my new Shen Hao 6x17 back. Every time I would compose a vertical object in the middle of frame, such as a lighthouse, church, tree, etc, then pan the camera to place the object more towards the edge of frame, the vertical object would tilt heavily towards the middle of the frame. Is there an easy way to overcome the leaning vertical problem? I'm using a 90mm lens, so camera movements are virtually non-existant. I found I had to leave these objects very close to the center of the frame, which looked terrible composition wise.

To make sure everything stays vertical, you need to make sure that your camera back (the film plane) is perfectly vertical when the camera is in position, ready to take the shot. Lucky for you, this is one of the advantages of using a view camera over a fixed-lens panoramic camera for this type of work, as keeping the film plane vertical and using shift movements to "look" up or down will keep verticals vertical. I would suggest that, after you've panned the camera to its final horizontal position, get out from under the dark-cloth and tilt the camera so that the back is vertical (using the camera's built-in or a hand-held level). Then, while viewing the composition, shift either the front or rear standards up or down until the subject is framed as desired. The danger here is exceeding the image circle of your lens and vignetting the corners. You can figure the shift limits out by taking some test shots with varying amounts of shift, or by using geometry. You'll also want to make sure that the camera is horizontal (side to side, or about the lens axis), otherwise everything including horizons could look a bit wonky...

Hi Travis, Not an answer as such, although you do need to ensure that the camera back is vertical - but some advice as I am waiting delivery of a 6x17 Shen Hao back and wondered how you were getting on with yours? Any views/comments/advice greatly appreciated! Thanks Paul

Which camera are you using?

I seethat you are using the Shen Hao 4x5 withthe 6x17 back. I'm not familiar withthis camera but I'll assume it is like a Zone VI or similar foldign wood camera. Veticals might be difficult with that back attached, have you tried using tilting thhe camera on its side so you can use what ever rear swing movements the camera has , as tilt movements? This might help but then again it might not.

More simply, rather than panningthe camra have you tried composing the photo more close to the framing you want and then using the front shift and rise/fall movements to zero in on your desired framing.

Also do you know about the indirect tilt method? You start with the camera pointing up at your subject and then tilt the back and frnt standards back to vertical. With a 90mm on a flat bed wood en folder you might not have enough flexibility in the bellows to make it work -- especially has you have the bellows more compressed t ocompensate for the depth of the back.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Due to the depth of the 6x17 back and using a 90mm lens, the front standard is fully compressed back inside the box-like 'housing' of the rear standard. Due to this, I have only 1 cm of front rise before the front standard physically hits the top of the rear standard. Working on the measuring scales, the front standard would need to come forward 2 cms before I can make use of the full 4cms of front rise. I'm thinking that not even a recessed lens board will enable me to move the front standard forward that far. Even with the wide angle bellows fitted, I cannot get any rear standard tilt of shift happening, meaning correcting for verticals is not possible at the moment. Any ideas anyone? Should I try a recessed lend board?

Paul check this post here : http://largeformatphotography.info/lfforum/topic/500542.html and thank you for your input Travis.

Paul you may take a look at this page too: http://www.kgcphoto.com/Reviews_&_Tutorials/shen-hao_6x17_back.htm

cheers

I've just received the Shen Hao 6x17 back! VERY impressed with the build / finish considering what it cost! I too have the "Art Panorama" version (as shown on the Shen Hao web site) which is almost the same as the DAYI version. I have done a few test runs on the camera - haven't had time to put any film through it yet!! And have the following observations! Firstly, I am sure that I am going to need to use a recessed panel with the 90mm 6.8 Schneider Super Angulon "Classic" - I can focus on infinity with it on a flat panel but there is VERY little room for any movement. Secondly, I will have a problem using the holder in a vertical orientation - the holder will not orientate vertically on my camera (Ebony 45SU) as the camera locks on the rear of the camera project into the path of the holder - not a real problem as if I ever need to shoot a vertical I'll tip the camera on its side! Third - the film back comes with 2 small felt baffles (I presume to mask the film gate down to 6x12 - need to have a look to see how this is done!!) NO INSTRUCTIONS!! Also, the screen/viewer has a bellows attached for shading the screen (good!) but to extend them you appear to have to undo a small screw - this must be a real pain in the field!!!!! Think I'll stick to the old darkcloth! I'm VERY pleased with this film back - I'll let anyone interested know how I get on shooting some film!! Thanks for the help Paul

Just a quick question Paul: when you have the back mounted on the camera what is the difference in length between your camera’s original ground glass and the ground glass of the back. Could you measure this for me please?

At the moment I have nothing wider than a 110SS but I am thinking of buying the 72XL and want to know if I can use this on my Toyo AII with the Shen Hau 6x17 back. I will also be using them on my Sinar F2 as well but i'am sure there I’ll have more freedom.

I’d also appreciate any additional information you will share with us. Congratulations again