Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What went wrong here? and here... and here... and here... and here....

Re: What went wrong here? and here... and here... and here... and here....

How and where did you load/unload the film? Changing bag or darkroom? The images with tree limb shapes in the sky definitely look like double exposures, but maybe this happened before or after exposing the scene. IDK. It's weird.

The only thing I've ever seen similar were inverted double exposures of night scenes in a 35mm SLR camera where most thought a reflection off a flat filter from light originating from the viewfinder with a bad foam seal might have been the cause. Never did figure it out. But, if interested, here's the link to that discussion on APUG.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/1...e-problem.html

Thanks for all that great advice everyone! As usual, the members of this forum have been incredibly helpful.

I'm going to investigate the bellows and camera for leaks. And also will check how the holder is seating in the camera.
    May have to invest in a bag bellows for wide angle use. I'll also look into vignetting caused by the Cokin P holder.

All my holders are numbered but, for some reason, I haven't been keeping track of the numbers in my exposure notes. That information would have been really useful!

And photoshop will "fix" a number of the issues so all is not lost.
    But for some of the developer related issues (spots or streaks), can I take the negs back and have them clean them? Is that even possible?

Thank you all again.

Randhir

Hello Randhir

I really hope that you're able to salvage images from your trip, must have been a very sad moment to realise what had happened

good luck and regards
    andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Plume View Post
    Hello Randhir

I really hope that you're able to salvage images from your trip, must have been a very sad moment to realise what had happened

good luck and regards
    andrew
    Oh, do not repair or retouch the negatives. Make good, straight prints and consider them genuine photographic artifacts so that they are not a shame or sad, but a real thing. File under Mistakes for the Better.

Photojournalist/Artist Poseur guyatou's Avatar

Yes, a bag bellows is a good idea with a 90mm on 4x5. I can't even get my regular bellows to compress enough for indoor photos to be in focus with a 90mm, let alone at infinity. Once you add movements, it's a recipe for disaster. Bag it up!

Nice photos, though. Definitely spend a little time to salvage them. What you have is quite nice. The swirly building in scan 111 looks like it could be the big brother of a house I've shot here in Oklahoma City. (The house was built for Dr. Nazih Zuhdi, first doc to do open heart surgery successfully.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 184.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	131116
    (Unedited scan, 120)

Well, well, well, I have the answer for you: the Cokin filter. I have been using its special tendency to reflect scenes behind it into the lens and, naturally, onto the film for many years now. I use it for my 'Transmigration' series (I'm a spiritual guy) at Hindu cremation sites in my country. Observe the 2 images below:

The sun, exemplified by the bright arc/light in the sky is, in actuality, 180 degrees behind the camera. This happens with any brightly lit object, or silhouetted object, behind the camera if the angle of incidence between it and your filter is accurate enough. Just shade the top of the filter / lens and the oddities will cease. Your camera, film, bellows etc. etc. are perfectly fine. I also love your images just fine too!

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

the tree limbs like others have said is a light leak, I had the same thing happened to me on an 8x10 one time, I had a home made lens board that didn't seat tight in the camera and when I took the shot it came out like a double exposure
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

Yeah, I'm convinced that most of these problems are caused by the cokin holder or the filter itself. I guess I have to be careful to prevent reflections!

Quote Originally Posted by Rory_5244 View Post
    Well, well, well, I have the answer for you: the Cokin filter. I have been using its special tendency to reflect scenes behind it into the lens and, naturally, onto the film for many years now. I use it for my 'Transmigration' series (I'm a spiritual guy) at Hindu cremation sites in my country. Observe the 2 images below:

The sun, exemplified by the bright arc/light in the sky is, in actuality, 180 degrees behind the camera. This happens with any brightly lit object, or silhouetted object, behind the camera if the angle of incidence between it and your filter is accurate enough. Just shade the top of the filter / lens and the oddities will cease. Your camera, film, bellows etc. etc. are perfectly fine. I also love your images just fine too!
    Nice images by the way! Is this series online somewhere?

It occurred to me this morning that this problem is also partly due to the smaller size of the Linhoff style lens boards. My older Sinar never exhibited this problem because the lens boards are much larger and prevented light from hitting the filter.