Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: One full day in the Moab area

One full day in the Moab area

Traveling to Salt Lake City at the end of March. and I allocate a full day around the Moab area Yes, I know, I need a full year and then some, but that's all I can afford right now.

I am thinking about getting up godawful hour to photograph sunrise, hike a little, sleep, then somewhere else for afternoon hike and sunset. Light hiking only please.

What do you recommend? May be the overdone-but-not-by-me Mesa Arch sunrise and then Bryce Canyon sunset? Open to any suggestions.

Oh, I presume a good SUV is important, rather than a compact which we would normally get?

THANKS!

Re: One full day in the Moab area

If I were in the Moab area for a day, and wanted only light hiking, I'd likely take my 5x7 up the hill to Arches and ignore the crowds by shooting upwards into the arches with a #58 green filter. Then again, getting over to Bryce....starting with a photo in Arches...then driving up 191, turning west and across that thankfully brief interval on 70 West...then down 24 - make a quick stop in Goblin Valley, run down to the goblins and take one or two well-considered photos, then continue on through Hanksville and over to Capitol Reef (no time to stop unfortunately, except maybe a quick grab at Goosenecks on the Torrey side) - then up out of Torrey on rt 12 west for an amazing drive up and over, down through the birch forests past an amazing overlook of Capitol Reef...and along that amazing series of switchbacks above the Escalante (try driving this at night - and do pay attention to those arrows!), then down to Boulder - where there is a nice cafe to grab a beer and a great sandwich - and then down past the Kodachrome basin turnoff and over to Bryce. But wait...what about that turnoff just before Kodachrome? Hole In The Rock Road...18 miles or so down this is a great "Devils Playground," with some wonderful small arches and hoodoos. My question is: how are you going to do this in a day? Possible yes...but with a large format camera? An iPhone might be a better choice! At any rate...have fun!

One full day in the Moab area

I hope you realize Bryce is nowhere near Moab? If you want to do Mesa Arch in the morning, I would just stay in Canyonlands all day and and look for a nice scene of the canyons for sunset. There are a million photos waiting to made in Canyonlands, pick one

You should be fine in a compact car in the National parks.

For easy access by car I'd go to Arches NP or Canyonlands NP Island in the Sky. For more walking/hiking Canyonlands NP Needles district is really nice (my favorite). A compact car is all you need. The weather in late March can be unpredictable so be prepared for rain or shine.

Yeah, you have no real hope of visiting the Moab area and Bryce in the same day - pretty much opposite sides of the state. You could stay in Canyonlands all day. Or stay in Arches all day. Or you could do sunrise in one and sunset in another - they are about 1 hour travel time distant. The drive along the Colorado river along Rt 128 is nice during late afternoon - starts right outside Moab, before you get to Arches. The drive in the other direction along the Colorado - I think it is called Potash Rd (279) - is also nice. Corona and Bow Tie Arches are on a not-to-strenuous hike off of Potash Rd. Along the way there are a number of petroglyphs viewable off the side of the road.

If you don't mind icons (nothing wrong with them IMHO), the sunrise view from Mesa Arch is awesome. As is the sunrise view from Dead Horse Point (a short detour on the way to Canyonlands). But you won't be even remotely alone in either location at sunrise. Both are easy hikes - Dead Horse doesn't even qualify as a "hike" - 100 steps from the parking lot. I shot Mesa Arch on my trip this last fall. I got there about 4:15 for a 6:00 sunrise, and I was not the first one there. You will likely be elbow to elbow (literally) at Mesa Arch at sunrise. DHP offers more opportunity to spread out. A sunset icon is Delicate Arch in Arches. You won't be alone there either, but the view is great.

My favorite location in Canyonlands is False Kiva. There is just something about the view from that alcove that really resonates with me. It is probably not what some would consider an "easy" hike (of course one person's "easy" is someone else's "difficult"), as the trail is steep in parts and has lot of loose rocks that you need to be careful on. Probably best in mid-late afternoon. You'll have to do some online research or check in at the Ranger Station for directions - False Kiva is not on the park map. If you go, please be respectful of access restrictions in the alcove - it is an archeological site.

Regarding the SUV, I think if the other aspects of your trip do not required renting an SUV, and you really do have only one day in the Moab area, it is probably not with the extra expense over a compact car for this trip. There are lots of "light hiking" opportunities in the Moab area that are accessible from paved roads. The starting points for all of the locations I mention above are accessible by low clearance car.

Bob

Drew Wiley

Are you nuts? Just pick one spot or relaxed quiet walk and spend some quality time in the desert. You'll experience more memorable things in one micro-trip than in some macro-gas-guzzling rush all across the state trying to sightsee the mandatory 1/100 of % of official scenic overlooks. I single day will barely get you to
    some of those famous overlooks around Moab and back. There's distance involved. Moab itself has become a bit of a tourist trap mobbed by bicyclists. But you
    don't have to drive far. Arches is nearby, with plenty to see. If you hike around obviously carry water and be certain of where you are headed. Some trails are
    signed, but some are not. Courthouse Wash can be an easy off-trail hike not far from the entrance and main set of arches. Or, the other direction from Moab,
    you could drive right along the Colorado River up toward Cisco, passing some fabulous scenery like Fisher Towers - a nice spot for a casual hike or picnic (assuming you're not interested in climbing the highest sandstone tower in the world that day!). You can't do it all! But you might have enough time leftover
    from either excursion for a sunrise or sunset run up to Deadhorse Point and that famous overlook (best at dawn). There's a campground up there too. I'd recommend spending the night up there instead of some motel in town, getting some dawn shots, then having enough time to cross right into either Arches or
    that drive I mentioned afterwards for the main part of the day. There are some stunning full day hikes in the immediate area too, but I don't know of what
    your idea of "light" hiking is. The Needles area is quite a drive from Moab if you expect to see Arches. Don't underestimate the distances. You could spend a lifetime in this area and see only a tiny fraction of what it has to offer.

Richard,
    Do Mesa Arch at sunrise and maybe Dead Horse Bend and then drive back to Arches (30 miles?) and get some photos during the day. (Note: make sure the weather will be clear at sunrise. If not, just stay in Arches NP.) There are many interesting shots there including Delicate arch which is a short hike but will have plenty of people there at sunset. Also, the spectacles may be interesting for you where you can combine landscape and people. Landscape arch is a short walk and may provide what you are looking for in photos.
    All of these areas have paved roads so no SUV required. Any car that will hold your equipment and luggage will do.
    Enjoy your trip.
    Regards,
    Ric Raymond
    Last edited by Richard Raymond; 12-Mar-2015 at 10:10. Reason: Added Dead Horse Bend

Les

You could easily do either Canyonlands and/or Arches (or little at each). Plenty of visual distractions and wonderful views. If you are adamant about something slightly different, you may want to try Fisher Towers.

Les

Drew Wiley

Canyonlands north section (with Deadhorse Point State Park) is directly opposite Arches. The completely separate southern Needles section of Canyonlands is a considerably longer drive. But a single park entrance fee is valid for both Arches and Canyonlands. And yes the roads are paved, but even pulling off onto a turnout
    of slickroad clay can get you seriously stuck after a rain - hard as concrete one day, pure soap the next. Something to be aware of (I learned the hard way).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Just pick one spot or relaxed quiet walk and spend some quality time in the desert.
    Or to put it in three easy steps:

1) Just go to Arches NP
    2) Park at any stop
    3) Walk into the landscape (off trail), keep your bearings, return to the car before dark.

No matter your final plan, try to minimize car travel and crowd exposure, and you'll have a great time!