Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copyright - Book with writing & photos (US)

Copyright - Book with writing & photos (US)

Helping a friend with processing images for a book he is doing. He is putting it all together and PDF for the printing company. Then he can order in batches as low as 50 at a time.

He has been told he doesn't need to formally register copyright as 'it is copyrighted when you create it' and 'you can't put the copyright notice in it without a copyright registration number'.

Needless to say, he is confused.

I understand he needs to register it formally to have any chance of legal action if some take it or part of it and publish it elsewhere or online. His printer is telling him it doesn't matter as he can sue for copyright infringement because he did the book and 'why waste money for something you don't need'.

Different stories from different folks at the printing company.

What is reality and where do I send him to check it out in easy to understand language?

bdkphoto

Re: Copyright - Book with writing & photos (US)

He should register the images and the book when it's done. Here's a great resource, both for information and tutorials on how to register. http://asmp.org/content/registration...s#.VP7lCkJqL7o

In the US you must have a registration to take legal action in court. If you have registered prior to the infringement you have additional protections that allow for collection of legal fees should you prevail. In practice having a valid copyright registration will keep you out of court in the long run, it can stack the deck in you favor when negotiating a settlement.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    ... 'you can't put the copyright notice in it without a copyright registration number'.
    This is not true.

Also double-check the statement that one MUST have a registration to take legal action. I believe the statement is more accurate that one is in a better position to prove a copyright infringement and collect damages if the copyright is registered... but I don't believe it is a requirement. Best check with a real lawyer, though.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    This is not true.

Also double-check the statement that one MUST have a registration to take legal action. I believe the statement is more accurate that one is in a better position to prove a copyright infringement and collect damages if the copyright is registered... but I don't believe it is a requirement. Best check with a real lawyer, though.
    Registration is a requirement to file a lawsuit - take time to read the asmp information, which was produced by our ASMP in house legal council.

Yes, I have read the ASMP material and understand their summary... and I have also read the copyright act... and also have legal counsel that I talk to (not just read printed summaries). ASMP is not especially consistent on the topic of "registration requirement" versus "puts us in a position where we are better able to win". I have filed a copyright infringement lawsuit (and won) without registration. "First to commerce" was the basis. It's a lot more difficult of a case, but... Just saying.

But please educate me... where is that stated in the copyright law?

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Yes, I have read the ASMP material and understand their summary... and I have also read the copyright act... and also have legal counsel that I talk to (not just read printed summaries). ASMP is not especially consistent on the topic of "registration requirement" versus "puts us in a position where we are better able to win". I have filed a copyright infringement lawsuit (and won) without registration. "First to commerce" was the basis. Just saying.
    Bruce is correct. Registration is a requirement to file a law suit.

Registration only costs $35 so there's very little reason not to do it.

Is it possible that registration is a requirement for Federal court cases only? Ours was not a Federal case.

Copyright is not a state matter. it is a federal matter and administrated by the federal government's Library of Congress. You may have won a case in state court, but it would have had nothing to do with copyright law.

From here:http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-infringement.html
    A certificate of registration (or a rejection of an application for copyright) is a prerequisite for U.S. authors seeking to initiate a suit for copyright infringement in federal district court. See Circular 1 Copyright Basics, and sections 410, 411, and 412 of the copyright law.

OK gentlemen... my apologies for putting confusion into the discussion. You are correct. I should have gone back and re-read the copyright act... it says so in 17 U.S.C. § 411 (a). Sorry to be such a dope this AM.

EDIT: for clarification... the situation I mistakenly thought was "winning a copyright suit without registration" was in fact a licensing contract issue. Again, my apologies.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Bruce is correct. Registration is a requirement to file a law suit.

Registration only costs $35 so there's very little reason not to do it.

you can do it online or mail it in ...