Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Value LF Equipment

Re: How to Value LF Equipment

Poor coverage, data from auction houses catering to rich collectors, ... Not a good guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Poor coverage, data from auction houses catering to rich collectors, ... Not a good guide.
    That is interesting, I would have thought that valuations based on open auctions was a pretty decent way judging value, and I think they use eBay as well. Anybody else have opinions on it?

I've looked at that site over the years. Their prices always seem fairly high, but sometimes correct. That's their problem, they're all over the map. Uncommon lenses that only sell once every couple years may be that one lens that a collector want's, and pays $2,000 for a Lancaster Rapid Rectilinear. Or a Struss slips by because of a poor listing, for $300. If that's all the data they have, that becomes their "average price."

Look at the prices for the common and unloved Dallmeyer 3D: http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Dall...-5cm-dia).html

Average $1000-1100
    Very good $1400-1500
    Mint $2400-2600

Yet the extremely desirable and most sought after Dallmeyer 3B is listed at:

Average $800-900
    Very good $1200-1300
    Mint $2000-2200

Would you want someone offering you $800 for a decent condition 3B, with patina and a bent focus knob?! Would you want to try to buy a 3D from a seller that say's it's "mint" and wants $2600?!

The word 'mint' should be banned from auctions, and 'minty' grounds for hanging.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    The word 'mint' should be banned from auctions, and 'minty' grounds for hanging.

I have sold a few mint condition items on Ebay. I skipped the "mint" word and just said that with my eyes I can't find anything wrong cosmetically with the item.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post

I have sold a few mint condition items on Ebay. I skipped the "mint" word and just said that with my eyes I can't find anything wrong cosmetically with the item.
    "Mint" should only be used to describe coins. Or maybe mints. But I would describe camera gear as either "New" or "Like New".
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    "Mint" should only be used to describe coins. Or maybe mints. But I would describe camera gear as either "New" or "Like New".
    Funny!

I did sell a camera once that was NOS ("New Old Stock"). It had been lost in a camera store stockroom and found many years later. I did ok on it. I don't think people believed me. Maybe I would have gotten more if I had listed it as "Mint".

WOW thank you for all this. A great resource.
    Damon Bates
    https://www.damonbatesphotography.com/

When I was employed by the State as a professional photographer, even though I didn't use my equipment on the job I had to take out an extra policy on my photo equipment because my title was "professional photographer". When I retired, my insurance agent contacted me and told me that from now on the equipment would be covered under my Homeowner's policy. He still wanted a yearly list (hard copy) of the equipment and its values. Values for my older lenses were off Lens & Repro ads published in VIEW CAMERA magazine. The ads were about 15 years old, and the values appreciated. Values based on ebay auctions my agent did not like or even accept because they were auction values and not published retail values.
    Last edited by Greg; 20-Dec-2020 at 16:59. Reason: added a word

Quote Originally Posted by unixrevolution View Post
    I"ve learned that LF equipment depriciates quickly when I buy it.
    ...and I thought this only applied to me... I don't feel so left out now - I guess it's true that 'misery loves company'.