Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    Yeah, what I'm wondering is what is holding the t-nut in place? Does it square up against the 80/20 track so that it does not spin? Did you weld or solder it in place?

I found some locking rivet nuts at McMaster-Carr that might work. Just wondering if you can tip me to what you found since it seems to be working well for you.

Thanks,
    Michael
    Michael, the nut slide inside the u shaped track of the 80/20 and is formed to lock in place when it is tightened. I'll have to find the picture of it to show you. Give me some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Michael, the nut slide inside the u shaped track of the 80/20 and is formed to lock in place when it is tightened. I'll have to find the picture of it to show you. Give me some time.
    I think Jim means this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-20-10-Ser...item56477386f4

This seller has a lot of track. I plan on following Jim's plan one day, but now I just research...
    Tin Can

Lexan is Polycarbonate, Plexiglas is Acrylic. Polycarbonate is tougher, but scratches more easily.
    Lexan and Plexiglas are trade names, like Perspex in the UK, which if I'm not mistaken, is Acrylic.
    Each material has it's own characteristics. I have used Acrylic focusing screens in ULF cameras for 30 years, starting with the original Polaroid 20x24s, and continuing with my own productions.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Mark View Post
    You can frost glass by sanding it with grey wet dry sand paper or even 220 garnet paper. Or loose carundum powder.
    I've often wondered why people use glass when acrylic aka lexan, plexiglas, is more breakage resistant and lighter.
    I suspect it is because glass is much more rigid and in modern times, very, very flat.
    My 8x10 currently has a glass ground glass but due to the scraps of glass and wood I used to make the holder for the glass, it really only shows 1/2 plate right.
    I have plans to make another that properly displays 8x10 and it will be from salvaged acrylic.
    Tracing paper, waxed paper could also be used but are v. fragile.
    Anybody a Star Trek fan? Where do I get transparent Aluminum?
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Jim, no worries. Between your description and Randy's link, I think I've got it.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I think Jim means this, http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-20-10-Ser...item56477386f4

This seller has a lot of track. I plan on following Jim's plan one day, but now I just research...
    Randy, I just got back from my workout and I'll look for the links. That is one type of connector but that is the idea. If I knew how to anodize I might try one in black aluminum and stainless steel.

This is all very interesting, but I still don't understand why all Jim's building projects are placed here in ULF Cameras rather than the DIY section. There is an awful lot of material/process information and discussion which is just as relevant for building 8x10" and smaller cameras. Sorry to break into the discussion!

Steven, you make a good point, but I don't think we are going to get perfect classification of threads. Over in the Image Sharing Forum, there are separate threads for 5x7, landscape, flowers, etc. So, someone could post a 5x7 landscape in the 5x7 thread or in the landscape thread, etc. Likewise, this sidebar discussion could be taking place in the Feedback forum....

I appreciate Jim making this information available, wherever it is placed.

Steven & Michael thanks. I just build cameras because I love to. I know that this one because it is a 14 x 17 belongs here but I agree it could go here and in the DIY camera building section as well. I haven't checked where my 8 x 10 build went but I would assume it would be in the camera building DIY section. 4 of my 5 camera builds are ULF so at least I know where to put them should I decide.

So for anyone interested, here is the link to the 80/20 that I used for the 14 x 17 - 20 x 24 that I built the frame, front standard, rear frame and rear tilt arms with. If you look at the slot in the channel Michael they have a T type nut that fits in there and when tightened is very stable.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370227288701...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT