Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

Re: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

The finished camera looks beautiful, Jim.

I agree with Carl--very inspirational--and thanks for the insights into new methods and materials, too!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Jarosz View Post
    80/20 extruded structural aluminum is wonderful stuff. McMaster has it all but they are expensive. A lot of it is sold on ebay. Just search there for 80/20

Using 80/20 for ULF cameras is a perfect application Jim.

John
    John, you are right. McMaster is high on pricing. I got many things from e-bay which was overstock from 80/20's site. Now I was a bit extreme with this build. For the next camera that I build when I retire this year I'd like to do anodized aluminum and Walnut where needed. I think a black frame and Walnut would look great and also cut down some weight. The nice thing about the 80/20 is it is very rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Roberts View Post
    The finished camera looks beautiful, Jim.

I agree with Carl--very inspirational--and thanks for the insights into new methods and materials, too!
    Michael, thanks. I know that when I build another camera I will use the 80/20 for the structure. It is easy to work with and very solid. When you go big like this you need a solid base. The camera is awesome to use. If you noticed I added a bail back which was very easy to do.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bail back 3.jpg   bail back 4.jpg   bail back 1.jpg  

My purpose with all of this is to give ideas to others who may wish to build a camera. You do not need a big shop although it goes faster if you have one. I was lucky in that the new place we are renting has a nice big garage that I can use. I put all of my stations on wheels so I can back the car out and get to work.

With that said my first camera was built with a minimum of tools. Drill, Dremel, Dovetail saw and plenty of passionate sweat equity. This was built in my one bedroom apartment. I've done some revisions to the camera now that I have the shop but nothing major. I must say though that the Mini Mill is sweet!

The thing is you need to do a lot of research as to what fits your needs as a photographer. My 8 x 10 and the latest 14 x 17-20 x 24 are the same design. The others are all different. For field use the Chamonix design works great, for me.

Like I said before I use minimal plans because I am a visual person so I went to the website and got images, visited my friend Tri to see his 14 x 17 and 20 x 24 Chamonix's and took some measurements.

The hardest things I feel in building a camera are the bellows and the back. You have to have a film holder to design the back. Now building film holders requires some fine woodworking skills that I don't have yet. As I get more into this when I retire I will try my hand at bellows and film holders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0157 resize.jpg   DSC_0158 resize.jpg   DSC_0160 resize.jpg   new mini mill.jpg  

The camera frame is built with 80/20 extruded aluminum. You can source it here http://www.ebay.com/itm/370227288701...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT. This size is just right. The frame was then covered with 1/8 Walnut. This took time to cut all of the wood and match it up but was worth it. You could build this camera much faster without doing this but I have this thing for Walnut and I have a lot of stock. With my new bandsaw and tools it was also a learning experience using the new tools. Cutting the strips of Walnut down was easy. Good tools are nice to use.

So the back will support a 20 x 24 horizontal format but I have a reducing back on now as I only have 14 x 17 holders. This was easy to do as I have a Century 8A that I used as my design for the back. I have holders so the film plain was not hard to figure out. Just take your time with this measurement and you will be fine.

The extension bed was a nice idea I thought. I found a piece that glides along the center rail that has special shims that you add so it remains tight and smooth. To this I attached my bed which was laminated from different Walnut species that interlocked for strength. It rides very smoothly in the top rails that support this structure. The focusing screw is attached to the underside and it is a joy to use. I've got about 34" of extension. My longest lens is my 30" Artar. I have a 24" Artar, a 14 x 17 to 16 x 20 New York Lens Company Portrait Group Lens, and my French 14 x 17 Mulholland and Sharp lens to round out the kit. These are all wonderful lenses for this kit and I even use the Brass ones for portraits in the field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1417 frame and bottom lamination resize.jpg   1417  laminations and front rail assembly unfunished.jpg   DSC_0480 resize.jpg   DSC_0491 resize.jpg  

Jim,

Congratulations, beautiful work. Having built a few cameras and film holders myself I know that this work can be addicting!! There is nothing quite like the smell of sawdust, freshly cut wood.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy, thanks. I must say that the 4 S&S 14 x 17 Walnut Holders that I have for this system sure do look nice with the camera

Must be great having more room to work in (and to fill with tools)!!! In the photos I did notice a possible safety problem -- it looks like you might be blocking quick and easy access to your beer. Be aware of that...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Jim, I'm sorry but that workshop is waaay too clean. Could you mess it up a little for the next photos?

john

Thanks, Jim, for the text and photos. I don't think you mentioned (I might have missed it or you might have mentioned in another post) weight, and about how much might be saved without the walnut? One of the few other cameras built with 80/20 I've noticed is Michael Shindler's 14x17 wetplate portrait camera (more traditional tailboard-like design) but this gives some nice insight into how one might work with that material.

You have a very impressive looking shop (and I do appreciate your encouraging words that it can be done with fewer tools)!

Carl