Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

First off let me say that I do not have many plans for the cameras I build. To date I have built in order an 8 x 20, 11 x 14, 14 x 17, 8 x 10 and another 14 x 17- 20 x 24. Yes, two 14 x 17's. Each camera was a different design and the reason I built the second 14 x 17 was two fold. First someone gave me a bellows from a process camera so that helped and two I found that my tail board design 14 x 17 was a bit difficult to use in the field.

I used the Phillips/Chamonix design for this camera. Now I have to thank Tracy Storer for the idea to use 80/20 extruded aluminum. Tracy used some of it to build a stand for his 20 x 24 camera I believe and I never forgot about the stuff. My friend Vinny Walsh suggested I get a mini mill and it is a great tool so thank's Vinny. I'll talk more about the 80/20 as we go and how you can use it alone and not laminate the walnut to it.

I wish to thank Haas from Chamonix and Hugo for helping me get the focusing screw. It is really nice to have as my arms are not long enough to focus using a traditional front focus knob.

I'll list the dimensions at some point in this thread and I'll add to it as I get my head around the steps involved. I'll go into some detail and I hope the images will help explain a lot. It weights just under 30 lbs.

One thing you must have in building a camera is patience. You do not need a fancy shop full of tools although I do have one now. My 8 x 20 was built with very few tools but a lot of passion in my one bedroom apartment! Don't tell me you can't do it too!

So I'll start with some finished images and go from there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0473 resize.jpg   DSC_0475 resize.jpg   DSC_0476 resize.jpg   DSC_0478 resize.jpg  

Re: Building a ULF 14 x 17 to 20 x 24 Camera

Jim, very inspirational. Looking forward to more photos and description of the process (when you can manage the time). Would be very interesting, if possible, to see the extruded aluminum frame underlying it all. Was it hard learning how to work with the 'mini mill'?

Thank you!

Jim,

Very nice camera! Are you going to bring it to the Joshua Tree in three weeks? Can't wait to hike with you again!

Hugo

So I always start with a crazy idea. I was moving stuff around in the camera storage room and I saw the bellows and as my significant other was over seas still I decided I needed something to keep me busy. After all I had all of these great shop tools waiting to be used. First off I do a lot of research on designs and find images on the net to use as my guides. I then customize it to my needs. I designed the camera's size around the bellows.
    The frame is built from 80/20 extruded aluminum and it was constructed in less than a day. I got all of the stuff I needed from McMaster Carr and some off of the net. The frame as you can see is built around the Chamonix design. The center focusing guide is a great thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1417 to2024 frame drwaings resize.jpg   1417 8020 frame pieces.jpg   1417 frame resize.jpg   1417 extension platform resize.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Carl J View Post
    Jim, very inspirational. Looking forward to more photos and description of the process (when you can manage the time). Would be very interesting, if possible, to see the extruded aluminum frame underlying it all. Was it hard learning how to work with the 'mini mill'?

Thank you!
    Carl, the mini mill was not hard to learn at all. Like a router that you can guide very easily and see what you are doing. I used it on metal with the proper bits and wood with my router bits. Cost me about a grand new.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Jim,

Very nice camera! Are you going to bring it to the Joshua Tree in three weeks? Can't wait to hike with you again!

Hugo
    Hugo, this is the same camera I had at out get together in November. I can't make JT as June and I are busy at that time, sorry.

The hardest part of working with the 80/20 for this was figuring out the right thickness to get and drilling the holes for the connectors. My first go with drilling the holes I was not deep enough so I had to take it apart and drill deeper. I made the base, the front upright, the side rails that support the back and the back frame from the 80/20.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0165 resize.jpg   DSC_0163 resize.jpg   DSC_0156 resize.jpg   DSC_0154 resize.jpg  

The connectors and various parts from McMaster Carr but your local hardware store has plenty to offer.

I also found the Deardorff guy on the web to be a great resource. I wanted to use stainless and brushed nickle for the build. The door push pads are great for cutting into small pieces for various parts.

More a little later!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1417 frame hardware.jpg   1417 frame detail with fastener resize.jpg   1417 hardware resize.jpg   1417 push plate nickle resize.jpg  

Very exciting. I have been thinking I need a 14x17 Field camera.

Thanks for letting us watch your build!
    Tin Can

80/20 extruded structural aluminum is wonderful stuff. McMaster has it all but they are expensive. A lot of it is sold on ebay. Just search there for 80/20

Using 80/20 for ULF cameras is a perfect application Jim.

John