Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

I'm going to buy a new 8x10 camera, and I want it to be light (I had a Toyo 810M: fantastic camera, but too heavy for me, so it stayed home because of that ..).

Which one would you choose ?

The Shen-Hao looks nicer and is a bit lighter, but being from wood, more fragile, I guess.
    The Wilderness has more bellows draw (I should check my longest lens, but IIRC it's 650mm)
    It's probably easier to get spare parts (e.g. bellows) for the Shen-Hao (?)
    The Shen-Hao has both Tilt and Center Tilt at the front, the Wilderness "only" Center Tilt (but should I care about that) ?

Anything else that I should consider in my choice ?

Thanks for your ideas,

Stefan.

Re: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

I know this isn't one of your two, but
    I have a chamonix 8x10, the first version, and I can't recommend it highly enough. I've taken it everywhere, it's amazingly light (just checked, the new version clocks in at just over 9lb) it has great bellows draw, and every movement I've ever wanted.

that said, if I were choosing between the Shen-hao and the wilderness then I think I'd go for the shen-hao, but maybe just because it's prettier?

I prefer center tilt because I can't stand re-focusing after tilt is applied.
    Anything else that I should consider in my choice ?
    Chamonix.

I own a Wehman but they are out of production. You might also look at a Ritter and a Chamonix. They are both lightweight too.

Advertise where you live and maybe someone owns one of these cameras in your area. It would be nice to get your hands on them before you buy. Cameras are such a personal choice. I would look for light and sturdy with plenty of bellows draw for the longest lens I own or plan on owning.

Can you get parts and support for either the ShenHao or Wilderness where you are?
    Or is it going to be a better of dealing with China for everything in case repair or parts are needed?
    The Wilderness looks interesting, like a bulkier Chamonix clone, but I'd weigh the parts and service option before making a decision.

+1 for a Ritter or Chamonix.

I use the Shen Hao and find it light yet rigid when erected. I'm not sure what "parts" you may need in normal use, I suppose you could break the ground glass whilst it was in your bag if you don't put something over it to protect it. I get round that with a stiff board inside a cushioned postal envelope and carry it in a Photobackpacker P3. Short of dropping the camera I wouldn't expect to need parts. I did buy a couple of different reducing backs but they came quickly even though coming from China. In my experience the company is very responsive to direct enquiries and purchases. If you do use it with the whole plate reducing back be aware that you need the slimmer Toyo/Rittreck style film holders, or the ones supplied by Shen Hao, as the Kodak type are too wide to fit in.

It's a fine quality camera, beautifully made with excellent components and at a very competitive price. Good value for money I'd say.

richard

I've been looking too though it'll be awhile before I have the funds to buy one.

My preference is the Chamonix but I'm seriously considering the Svedovsky due to cost. The last I checked their shipping fee to Texas was $80. LINK

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Well there are photos of Clyde Butcher using. Shen Hao 8x10 in the Florida swamps. If SH is good enough for him tats a pretty good recommendation.
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I wonder if the Wilderness design would have problems being sturdy when locked due to the lack of triangular bracing of the front and rest standards. Also, it seems to have a minimal amount of material for the base. Light weight is OK, but I would prefer a solid camera ( even if it was a pound or two heavier ) over one that vibrates.