Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

Re: Shenhao 8X10 FCL-810 AC or Wilderness V 8x10 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    I wonder if the Wilderness design would have problems being sturdy when locked due to the lack of triangular bracing of the front and rest standards. Also, it seems to have a minimal amount of material for the base. Light weight is OK, but I would prefer a solid camera ( even if it was a pound or two heavier ) over one that vibrates.
    That camera is the only one I think I've ever seen which doesn't have rear support braces. That'd be my #1 reason for not buying it.

Chamonix.. (I have 2 Arca 8x10s)

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    That camera is the only one I think I've ever seen which doesn't have rear support braces. That'd be my #1 reason for not buying it.
    With the possible exception of Arca Swiss, Sinar or Cambo, to name but three that popped into my head-

Is it just for aesthetic reasons you wouldn't consider it, because it seems to be a design feature on wooden folders only, and the design seems to have arisen from the use of pressed and folded metal parts.

It seems to me that the tolerances of the bearing surfaces and the stiffness of the components would be far more important than the number of pinned joints.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    With the possible exception of Arca Swiss, Sinar or Cambo, to name but three that popped into my head-

Is it just for aesthetic reasons you wouldn't consider it, because it seems to be a design feature on wooden folders only, and the design seems to have arisen from the use of pressed and folded metal parts.

It seems to me that the tolerances of the bearing surfaces and the stiffness of the components would be far more important than the number of pinned joints.
    I believe we're speaking of field cameras here. It's the only 8x10 field camera I've seen like this. I think the others (including the one I built) have them in order to keep the back in place when locked down.

joseph

I think there is more than one way to accomplish something- although doing something differently, especially in the rather conservative world of large format photography, will always be a risk. It amazes me, for example, that all the Phillips copies never once addressed the issue of having to assemble the camera in the field.

I've seen your camera, it looks very well built-

Yeah, Vinny, your camera does look well built. You need to make us all one!

Kevin Kolosky

Quote Originally Posted by csxcnj View Post
    Well there are photos of Clyde Butcher using. Shen Hao 8x10 in the Florida swamps. If SH is good enough for him tats a pretty good recommendation.
    I thought he swore by Deardorf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Mann View Post
    I wonder if the Wilderness design would have problems being sturdy when locked due to the lack of triangular bracing of the front and rest standards. Also, it seems to have a minimal amount of material for the base. Light weight is OK, but I would prefer a solid camera ( even if it was a pound or two heavier ) over one that vibrates.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    If stability is priority #1 in an 8x10 field camera, the Toyo 810M/MII is hard to beat.
    No rear support braces, but as solid as they come.

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post

A studio camera vs a field camera would not need to consider the effect of wind, I have to believe a triangle design would be more rigid than a single contact surface - but, then I am not an engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J. Kolosky View Post
    I thought he swore by Deardorf.
    I think he had a Shen-Hao here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xarIyRnrAl8