View Poll Results: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which SHEET FILM do you favor more?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tmax400 (TMY-2)

34 50.00%
  • Tri-X Pro (320TXP)

34 50.00%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

multiplex

Re: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

the only new film i buy is tmy2 because clients requested it ..
    I don't like tab grained films .. if I could only ust trix I would

I voted Tmay-2 but I don't use Kodak films any more. The availability outside North America and the UK and some of the larger European countries is almost none existent.

In all the countries I visited in South America and also Turkey & Greece Ilford .and Foma films (and papers) are easy to find and if out of stock it's next next day delivery. Sure you can find Kodak consumer colour films easily but not Kodak B&W films. and no LF So I switched back to Ilford and love HP5 for LF work.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I voted Tmay-2 but I don't use Kodak films any more. The availability outside North America and the UK and some of the larger European countries is almost none existent.

In all the countries I visited in South America and also Turkey & Greece Ilford .and Foma films (and papers) are easy to find and if out of stock it's next next day delivery. Sure you can find Kodak consumer colour films easily but not Kodak B&W films. and no LF So I switched back to Ilford and love HP5 for LF work.

Ian
    Ian, why did you vote if you aren't buying either? This poll is only for those currently consuming one or both of the films, and which they use more.

Only those who actually buy this film currently (within, say, the last year or so and who plan to continue to buy more).

So far interesting results assuming most understood the voting.

I use both films about equally, so I won't vote (since I can't vote for both...). Often I have the two films loaded back-to-back in the same holder.

I like the long straight line of TMY for some things, but end up printing a lot of the TMX negs when I have duplicates. It's a great film for many subjects. The long toe keeps some shadow detail, even without a lot of separation, and the mid-tone separation is then often gratifyingly good.

Best,

Doremus

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Ian, why did you vote if you aren't buying either? This poll is only for those currently consuming one or both of the films, and which they use more.

Only those who actually buy this film currently (within, say, the last year or so and who plan to continue to buy more).

So far interesting results assuming most understood the voting.

I voted because Tmax 400 was my fast film choice, and I used to use it in all format, I might still if Kodak sorted out their distribution which is something that needs lighting.

Ian

I've got a box of 320TXP in the freezer that's been there for about 2 years now. I've still got loads of TMY left though. I'm pretty keen on checking out the TXP but I've been very happy with Kodak for the last however many years. That been said, when I run out of Kodak film, I'm going 100% Ilford.

I voted. I don't currently buy either. I saw the poll and it made sense for me to vote since I have used both films in the past. Then I read your long string of rules. Next time you might consider including a note in the title; something along the lines of "please read rules first."

multiplex

o
    Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I voted because Tmax 400 was my fast film choice, and I used to use it in all format, I might still if Kodak sorted out their distribution which is something that needs lighting.

Ian
    I know exactly what you mean ian.. their distribution chain is something else
    my last purchase of any new film was tmy2 (4/5 )
    i used to love tmy when it first came out in the 1980s, but after 20+ years 1000s sheets ( and hundreds of rolls )
    my favor switched to tri x.. I have remnants of a 2000 5/7 sheet purpose ( i bought the same amount in tmy 4/5 back in the day )
    and i would rather use TRI x. i don't mind finicky exposures and know how to expose and process and
    while I have devised a way to extract grain from tab grained film ( so it doesn't look mushy )
    I'd rather use a 5 or 7 stop latitude film with a retouching "tooth" ... that won't
    block my highlights if I use a flash... tmy&tmt2 enjoy getting blocked ...
    recently i threw caution to the wind and bought 100 sheets of tmy2 ... like it even less than the older version.
    and don't plan on buying it again.

horses for courses as they say ...

(Shrek)

I voted for 320TXP because it's the only one the local photo shops actually stock, so when I do buy, that's what it is. But I'm not an everyday user. It is, however, my favorite film for night shooting around town.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    o

I know exactly what you mean ian.. their distribution chain is something else
    my last purchase of any new film was tmy2
    i used to love tmy, but after about 1000 sheets ( and a few hundred rolls )
    my favor switched to tri x.. I have remnants of a 2000 5/7 sheet purpose ( i has the same amount in tmy4/5)
    and would rather use TRI x. while I have devised a way to extract grain from tab grained film
    I'd rather use a 5 or 7 stop latitude film with a retouching "tooth" ... that won't
    block my highlights if I use a flash... tmy&tmt2 enjoy getting blocked ...

horses for courses as they say ...
    I think when Kodak outsourced distribution some distributors Cherry picked and concentrated on the C41/RA4 market which is strong everywhere. it's worse in some countries than others I'm talking from experience and there's an irony the Ilford & Foma films & papers are everywhere.

Ian