View Poll Results: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which SHEET FILM do you favor more?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tmax400 (TMY-2)

34 50.00%
  • Tri-X Pro (320TXP)

34 50.00%
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

Re: Poll: Tmax400 (TMY-2) vs Tri-X Pro (320TXP), which do you favor more?

TXP, since TMY is not available in 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    ...Look at Canham's orders; for B&W film it's been tmax.
    That's because B&H keeps 320TXP in stock at a lower price than Canham can offer it.

I did not vote, but I'm interested in this topic. I like TMY, but it's a bit expensive. I've used Tri-X 320 for years, and am now out of stock short of a couple of loaded film holders. It's not cheap, either, but less expensive than TMY. I like the look of HP5+, and it's readily available in all the formats I use, so I think that's where I'm headed. All three are beautiful films, and all are different. It's nice to have a choice. Most of my LF work these days is on FP4+, but I do like to have a few holders loaded with 400 ISO film for those times when the wind is blowing.

Drew Wiley

Keith has single customers who buy entire cuts of 8x10 TMX. I know this because he tells me if there's a a few leftover boxes. In other words, there's a distinct
    degree of demand out there beyond the kinds of people on this forum, who probably rarely even buy TMX. 5x7 is more esoteric. Way back when these films first came out, Kodak figured that their two TMax products were going to make a tag-team one-round knockout of Plus-X, Super-XX, and Tri-X, along with certain graphics films like Color Separation Film. And I'm still surprised there is a "versus" still in the ring. Maybe Tri-X was staggering around dazed somewhere, while the others including Tech Pan were dragged to the morgue, and then stumbled back into the ring just for the sake of nostalgia, awaiting the final punch. Let's just hope that last punch doesn't land on the entire Kodak show first.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    That's because B&H keeps 320TXP in stock at a lower price than Canham can offer it.
    For the cost issue, I was thinking of 4x5 films where it's always at least $114 for tmy2 and <$100 for trix and tmx.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Keith has single customers who buy entire cuts of 8x10 TMX. I know this because he tells me if there's a a few leftover boxes. In other words, there's a distinct
    degree of demand out there beyond the kinds of people on this forum, who probably rarely even buy TMX. 5x7 is more esoteric. Way back when these films first came out, Kodak figured that their two TMax products were going to make a tag-team one-round knockout of Plus-X, Super-XX, and Tri-X, along with certain graphics films like Color Separation Film. And I'm still surprised there is a "versus" still in the ring. Maybe Tri-X was staggering around dazed somewhere, while the others including Tech Pan were dragged to the morgue, and then stumbled back into the ring just for the sake of nostalgia, awaiting the final punch. Let's just hope that last punch doesn't land on the entire Kodak show first.
    drew

i remember calling the folks at kodak and asking them about separatoin film, copy film and everything else under the sun
    and their main line was "tmx / tmy" was a direct replacement for everything... and the whole run of film ...
    years ago photo warehouse was supposed to buy master rolls of eastern films before the dollar tanked ...
    and they had a client or two of theirs who tested the film for them (because they were going to basically buy most of it) ...
    the rest is history ... ( they were the same people who bought lots and lots and lots of their "made in england 100 and 400" film )

What does happen if Kodak goes under?

Kodak is not the only game in town.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by RodinalDuchamp View Post
    What does happen if Kodak goes under?
    Ilford. Or, for color, a smattering of Fuji via direct import, or digital.

Just think of all those photogs who've nailed down a workflow with either film and what losing those films would mean. For most starting from scratch.